Psychological or physical?

Lydiamae

Visit site
Hi all.

I have a rising 6 sports horse X section D. He is an all rounder, we do a bit of everything together. I have owned him for almost a year now.

So, Monty came with a saddle, which as a youngster fitted him. As he lost fat and gained muscle with myself it began to fit less well. Around December/January just passed, I had a master saddler out to measure and fit him a new saddle. It was delivered to me 2 weeks ago. The problem arose 3 weeks ago when I schooled Monty and he behaved unusually and we developed 'no breaks'. When I tried to saddle up, he was reluctant to saddle by breaking off his tie rope and being handy with his back legs. I contacted my saddler immediately, as she is also an equine spinal therapist. She advised to not ride for the next 5 days or work him and she would be out on the Saturday to fit the saddle.

Saturday came, she said his back was not sore, just a touch tense which was normal, for which he had a treatment and loved. The saddle was fitted, he allowed her to fit it with no reluctance, we had a trail ride and he behaved impeccably. Problem solved... I thought.

Sam advised me to lightly hack the following day, I did, where he picked up a stone in his hoof and bruised his sole. I removed the stone and my other half, who is a farrier, checked this. 4 days box rest and he was all better again.

So I started riding him again lightly in the school on Sunday, just gone and he is schooling beautifully. He seems freer in his movements with the new saddle and is coming much more round and softer with me. He hadn't schooled so well in weeks, BUT, he is still reluctant to have the new saddle on his back. He fidgets and moved and pulls faces when i placebos on his back, once in he's fine.

I feel that due to him having his feet checked, teeth checked and back checked, schooling so beautifully and a new saddle, he is not in any pain. I feel he is scared that the new saddle will hurt like the old one, and is reluctant to it. Once it's on I think he realises it's fine.

I just wanted opinions from others if they have ever experienced anything similar.

Wouldn't it be great if they could talk and tell us how they felt!!

TIA xx