PTS horse?

ApolloStorm

Visit site
So I am at the point now with this horse that I'm on the verge.
14yo ex racer, used to be my friends daughters horse, was on loan to me for a while but sent back as had my own horse as well and two was becoming too much.
Found out he'd been sold on twice to two very unsuitable homes for little money. He had dumped them both either in the road or on a jump. He is generally quite a sensitive soul. Second home contacted me to ask about him and i felt so sorry for him being sold on again that I (stupidly in hindsight) said i'd have him. Found out he'd had an injury to his sacroiliac so either needs to be in full work or retired- I don't have to time or energy to commit riding full time. The last two times i have ridden him at walk and trot he has been unpredictable jumping around, bucking spinning etc. So I have stopped riding- suspect some kind of underlying issue other than the one already found. Horse uninsured as everything pretty much excluded.
I just feel sorry for him. I wont sell him, I don't think anyone would loan him. And I loathe spending £250 a month on a field ornament, who may decide to break any second when i'd have to PTS anyway.
thoughts or ideas?

Peter7917

Visit site
Well, you could try and find cheap grass livery if he would live out? I don't know how realistic that is in your area. Otherwise, yes, £250 a month on a horse who you get no enjoyment out of is hardly money well spent is it.

LaurenBay

Visit site
If you can't ride, don't have the money to find out if he is hurting and fix it, and do not want to spend money to retire him then PTS. But my Horse only cost me £100 a month to retire. But I accept that some people will not pay that.

SEL

Visit site
I know a mare who was given away as a companion by a friend of mine and is being hammered around despite not being sound. If she came up for sale / given away I would take her on immediately - but to have her PTS.

Given you've bought this horse back to make sure he isn't passed around any longer then if your time and finances can't keep him going I don't think PTS is the worst thing that could happen.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Totally agree with everyone else on here: you are a good owner, having "saved" this horse you've obviously put time and effort (and money) into him.

You are not passing on the problem to someone else by advertising him as a "companion", no, you are facing the problem and having to make tough choices. I am sure we all feel for your dilemma and applaud you for having the courage to face the issues not pass them on to someone else.

There should be no shame or guilt in making a PTS decision purely for economic reasons let alone anything else. TB's tend not to make good field ornaments, and if he's been an ex-racer then he'll be used to having a structured existence. Not that he couldn't get used to being turned out at his leisure...... but you do have to consider the expense, not just for livery but for future vet bills in the future which are only likely to accumulate as he gets older/gets more issues, and at 14yo now he could end up costing you a lot of money for a good few years, for a horse that cannot do anything.

You've done the kindest thing you could have in taking him on board; and the fact that you're looking at your choices now, proves that you a good and compassionate owner.

So sorry you are in this position. Its never easy :(

Antw23uk

Visit site
Lucky horse to have you on his side. PTS is not a welfare issue. You can secure his future and he cant be passed around anymore. Well done you. Dont think anyone should say you shouldnt PTS, I certainly wouldnt and I would likely do the same.