PTS odd question?

Lintel

Visit site
Last night sadly we had our old family terrier put to sleep. He had suffered a massive stroke and was extremely agitated unable to walk and had bad nausea, was panting excessively. It was the best thing for him X

I held him as she injected the anaesthetic overdose and instantly he stopped panting and slept- but strangely his wee tail began to wag for a few seconds and stopped, she sounded him and that was it.

It sounds entirely made up the fact his tail wagged, part of me thought it was imagination but the vet and my mum also saw it.

Had this happened to anyone before, is it normal when getting PTS?

JillA

Visit site
I'm sorry you had to make the decision even though it was obviously the right one. There are often reflex movements, of different parts of the body around the moment of death

Actually the vet should have pointed that out to you surely? Well done for net letting the suffering continue, the last act of love

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Sorry to hear of your loss.

When we had Aled put to sleep on Monday, his tail slowly lifted up towards his back. I know why it happened 💩, but was nice to see as on the Sunday eve, and Monday morning, it was firmly down and not him at all.

Thinking of you.

{97702}

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. The tail wagging will have been an involuntary muscle spasm/movement, which you also see in horses when they are PTS

pistolpete

Visit site
RIP little terrier. I am an ex vet receptionist and vets told me that the drug they use is a barbiturate can cause a slight feeling of elation if anything so maybe it was just that. I will be facing this soon with my old springer :(

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a horrible thing when you have to say goodbye to an old friend .
Be kind to yourself .
I got this coming as well

islander

Visit site
I know humans can have spasms and involuntary movements at death, so am sure animals too. Comforting that it was his waggy tail though. You carried out the final kindness, good for you. My old terrier will face this soon, it is a hard but necessary decision to make.