Public liability insurance - recommendations?

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Hi all, hope you've all had a lovely xmas?!

Cancelling our horse insurance as the premiums have got ridiculous and think the money is better just saved in a horse account for if/when/hopefully never! (have funds to pay for anything if necessary so not in dire straits if the worst comes to the worst).

However, we do hack and on roads, so obviously do need public liabilty insurance. I know people have recommended BHS before, are there others? BHS seems to have gone up from what i remember? Any recommendations welcome!

rifruffian

Visit site
A cost effective way is to subscribe to NRM,.....non riding membership of Endurance GB. (The insurance cover is not concerned as to whether you ride or not)

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
And British Dressage, Non competing membership.

It may also be on your house insurance, I have 2 million on mine.

bollybop

Visit site
A cost effective way is to subscribe to NRM,.....non riding membership of Endurance GB. (The insurance cover is not concerned as to whether you ride or not)

Am I right in thinking that you get £10 million of public liability with a £250 excess for £30 a year?

paddy555

Visit site
check your house insurance. I have just had this discussion with NFU who increased mine (in light of the recent case) from 2.5 to 5 million.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
check your house insurance. I have just had this discussion with NFU who increased mine (in light of the recent case) from 2.5 to 5 million.

That's good.

We asked the AA, who have ours, at the moment and they wouldn't increase it from two million. I won't let anyone else ride my horses now, but I'm still thinking of taking out another policy.

popsdosh

Visit site
That's nonsense .

Its most of the ones linked to discipline membership that have high excesses (I believe BE is the first 2k) The BHS is by far the best with highest cover with least excess they also cover all your horses and whoever is looking after them . Please dont forget they wont cover you for every eventuality that you feel responsible for! As there is a subtle difference between morally responsible and legally liable and they only cover what you are legally liable for. House insurance would be a good first start as also remember that all insurance linked to membership is insurance of last resort so other policies that are in place will have to cover the first hit .

hairycob

Visit site
Most of the membership coverage is insurance of last resort i.e. they only pay out if you don't have cover elsewhere - e.g. under your house insurance. So always best to check your house insurance to see if you actually need to take out any other cover or you could be paying for something you will never use.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Thanks all. So BHS - would 1 membership cover me and my husband for both our horses as i ride both of them? Or would it need to be separate? Will look into the house insurance also.

paddy555

Visit site
That's good.

We asked the AA, who have ours, at the moment and they wouldn't increase it from two million. I won't let anyone else ride my horses now, but I'm still thinking of taking out another policy.

NFU were aware of the 3m recent claim and agreed 2.5 not enough and the increase cost an extra £16. I could increase to whatever I wanted to pay for. The peace of mind was worth it!! The thought of losing my house in a claim doesn't bear thinking about. They aren't cheap but (with land and buildings and animals) I feel they may be more understanding if something on the outdoor side happens.

Goldenstar

Visit site
NFU were aware of the 3m recent claim and agreed 2.5 not enough and the increase cost an extra £16. I could increase to whatever I wanted to pay for. The peace of mind was worth it!! The thought of losing my house in a claim doesn't bear thinking about. They aren't cheap but (with land and buildings and animals) I feel they may be more understanding if something on the outdoor side happens.

I totally agree with you .
You talk to local people you explain what you need they understand how people with horses live and offer cover that does what you need .
When we suffered terrible snow damage they were marvellous .

attheponies

Visit site
I recently took out BHS membership after reading the small print and finding out that my P/L cover was very low with my insurance co. Having said that I also changed Ins co as I found I wasn't even covered for a pleasure ride of 10 miles!