Pulled Bicep

ChristineL

Visit site
Two weeks ago my 2yr welsh sec d went down lame on his hind leg. I had the vet out who told me to put him on box rest and Bute. We done this but 2 days later he was worse.

We have since been in to have x-rays done, as the vet wanted to rule out OCD, luckily the x-rays were clear and the vet thinks he has pulled his Bicep.

I have been lucky enough to never had a horse that has pulled any muscles to this extent before and I was just wondering if any one else had a similar experience and how long your horse took to recover.

Thanks

Peanot

Visit site
As he is a 2 year old, the prognosis is good as he is young and he isn`t being worked or ridden so he has plenty of time to mend. Just follow the Vets advice and he should soon be mended. It will probably take a few weeks though as he will still want to be active but the fibres in his muscles are more elasticy so he has a better start than an older horse with the same problem.
If you imagine you had a pulled muscle, you would protect it to some extent but still use it, but it gets easier as it gets stronger. I hope that he makes a full recovery soon.

ChristineL

Visit site
Thanks ever so much.

I have had him out in a small paddock this week and you would not think anything was wrong with him now. But I am still trying to keep him clam - well as calm as a 2yr can be!