Pulled shoe twice in two days Advice Needed

gingerarab

Visit site
I have a 16hh + connie x tb mare, she has only been wearing shoes for the last two years and is pulling them off on a regular basis. Farrier has changed her shoes to what he calls "pencil tips" and that did help.

Today she has pulled a shoe in the stable, I was leading her out and she trod on her own feet and off it came.

Several questions, is it because her hoof quality is poor because of the constant wet weather and/or diet, would feeding a "barefoot diet" help and if so can someone please confirm if my thinking of fast fibre, linseed and a decent vit and min suppliment would be a good idea, suggestions for the suppliment welcome ! Would in the meantime overreach boots help ?

The idea of barefoot does appeal but our drive is a 1/4 mile of stoney track that cripples anything without shoes on.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Because of the mess that my old farrier made of my mare's hooves, I always think that it is wise to check that her breakover hasn't been changed during the time that she has been shod. Essentially - because the toes on the front hooves are getting longer, the horse cannot pick it's front hoof off the ground quite quick enough, so catches the back of the shoe with the hind hoof that's coming down as that lands.

Again, having to wear OR boots all the time is another red flag that the breakover is wrong.

Could you take some good photos of your horse's hooves? You need to get the camera right down, almost on the ground.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I don't like to think of it as a barefoot diet, more a healthy diet which all horses really should have. What about boots? If barefoot appeals why not try it? And use hoof boots for riding?
Tbh even if you have good hoof wall if the horse is going to pull a shoe off it will, it's only nailed on afterall.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Ditto thatsmygirl. Even if you do in future go back to shoes, you need a decent hoof if you want to keep them on. My connie x tb has big flat feet, prone to spreading & flares if not kept short. She has no problems doing extended trot down our stony driveway. Only place its an issue is a nearby lane. It's full of rocks, so all horses, shod or not pick their way over or round, as the level is uneven.

Oberon

Visit site
I have a 16hh + connie x tb mare, she has only been wearing shoes for the last two years and is pulling them off on a regular basis. Farrier has changed her shoes to what he calls "pencil tips" and that did help.

Today she has pulled a shoe in the stable, I was leading her out and she trod on her own feet and off it came.

Several questions, is it because her hoof quality is poor because of the constant wet weather and/or diet, would feeding a "barefoot diet" help and if so can someone please confirm if my thinking of fast fibre, linseed and a decent vit and min suppliment would be a good idea, suggestions for the suppliment welcome ! Would in the meantime overreach boots help ?

The idea of barefoot does appeal but our drive is a 1/4 mile of stoney track that cripples anything without shoes on.

It's a bit difficult to know why without seeing the hooves :eek:

There have been lots of lost shoes this season - a mixture of sugary grass causing lower quality hoof and constant damp getting into the nail holes and making the nail/wall junction weak.

Feeding a decent diet will improve general hoof quality and the linseed often helps keep the wall at an even moisture level.

This is my horse (he has rampant Cushings). Perfectly comfortable on this track.

obibrickcrunching.jpg

If he was uncomfortable - I would just pop a pair of boots on when he needed them......;)

gingerarab

Visit site
Oberon wow is my first reaction, 2nd is tell me more !

My mare is in during the day and out at night on grass. In winter I feel fast fibre but having read of few threads I feel the diet has room to improve to help the feet, I am just not sure what I should be feeding.

What sort of boots do you use ?

Today she trod the shoe of with her other front foot, it wasnt an overreach from the hind feet.

Dustygirl

Visit site
Our Connie boy has been pulling shoes too. So his shoes are off. Diet has been adjusted and I'm feeling confident it was the right choice. Big thanks to Oberon for some great advice.
He's fine in the field, on the smooth concrete yard and in the school. Hoping it wont be too long before he's comfortable on more uneven ground too.

Oberon

Visit site
I haven't needed to use boots so far. We are managing his Cushings with medication and diet.

He's been on grass 24/7 for the summer, now out for 12 hours (his choice to come in at night ;)).

Hacks with his rider about four times a month (when she has time).

I have a pair of Easyboot Bares I picked up second hand - just in case we ever need them (been in their box for a year now :p). If the day comes that he can't walk across that path comfortably....I will know there is a problem and look into what it is ;)

Feedwise he gets Fast Fibre, linseed, J-herb, Yea-sacc and Pro Balance +.

Boots that work well are Cavello, Old Mac G2s, Easyboot Epics/Gloves, Equine Fushion (not commonly used in the UK, but appear popular with those that do)......depends on your budget and hoof shape.

It makes more sense to me to use boots for your driveway issue than put up with the hassle of lost shoes :eek:. A healthy hoof can usually cope bare eventually anyway.......