Pullein-Thompson book - bit of a long shot

Faithkat

Visit site
Does anyone know the name of a book written by one of the Pullein-Thompson sisters which featured Christina (quite well-off, had three horses - Symphony, Solo - a cob - and Serenade who was, I think, chestnut) and her less well-off friend Augusta who had a pony called Daybreak?

I'm making an effort to replace all the horse/pony books I had as a child which I foolishly gave away years ago to someone's daughter who was "horse-mad" (for about a fortnight !) but I cannot remember all the titles.

Rueysmum

Visit site
Three Ponies and Shannon!! (Shannan??)
cool.gif

Rueysmum

Visit site
Another one you might need is "I wanted a Pony" by Diana Pullein-Thompson - my favourite book of all time. If you haven't read it it's about how Augusta acquires Daybreak whilst she is staying with her hideous posh cousins and their miserable mother. A great read!
cool.gif

nicnag

Visit site
Ditto 3 ponies and shannon - I have it somewhere, it may be in the shed with the rat! I'm avoiding the shed at the moment due to the rat but if I get brave 9or it's near the door!) I'll have a look and see if it's there. Will be in a plastic box so no chance of rat contamination!

Faithkat

Visit site
Thank you all. With a title I can start replacing some! I had "I wanted a pony" too. It's really annoying being able to remember the story but not the titles, I had so many

If anyone has any copies they are willing to part with for some remuneration, please PM me.

I had most of the Monica Edwards ones too so I'm hunting for those as well. I've started with "Wish for a Pony".

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
3 ponies and Shannon was one of my all time favourites (Pony Club hasn't changed all that much, has it?!).
smile.gif

I also love Joanna Cannan's books (the Pullein-Thomsons mother), especially They Bought Her a Pony.
smile.gif

And what was the one where the girl hocks her silver coat buttons to buy a pony at the local market, only she doesn't realise it's guineas and not pounds?

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

And what was the one where the girl hocks her silver coat buttons to buy a pony at the local market, only she doesn't realise it's guineas and not pounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is I wanted a Pony - with Daybreak. She does some handy pony type class at the end and jumps a rocking horse???

Rueysmum

Visit site
That was "I wanted a Pony" by Diana PT. I still have my copy which I have owned from the age of 7, but it's a bit dog-eared now through having been read so many times!

Taffyhorse

Visit site
There is another one too with Christina and Augusta called A Pony to School (i think) about a skewbald pony called Clown.

I think there might be more in the series (other than the one's mentioned here) but I'm not 100% sure.

Reashi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is another one too with Christina and Augusta called A Pony to School (i think) about a skewbald pony called Clown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got that one!!! I love old school pony books
grin.gif

Firehorse

Visit site
oh wow! the memories of being a pony mad kid! i loved all those books. my favourite series was patricia leitch's about the arab, shantih and jinny in scotland. i sooooooooo wanted to be that girl!! i might have to buy them now. stupidly i gave old my horsely books away yrs ago, big regrets!!!

Hippona

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oh wow! the memories of being a pony mad kid! i loved all those books. my favourite series was patricia leitch's about the arab, shantih and jinny in scotland. i sooooooooo wanted to be that girl!! i might have to buy them now. stupidly i gave old my horsely books away yrs ago, big regrets!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, I loved them too...perhaps thats why I still have a hankering for arabs? Conditioned as a child? I think they are all in my mums attic...might have to go have a look-see-

Spyda

Visit site
Dream of Fair Horses

OMG - That's my favourite book of all time. Can remember it really affecting me when I read it when I was young. Think it was the first book I'd read that didn't end like I expected, or wanted it, to.

I bought another copy several years ago but it's out of print and very hard to find. I was lucky to find one.

Spyda

Visit site
Oh, and did you read the Phantom Horse books? About the palomino? I loved those too, and the Jinny and Shantih books.

Blaise

Visit site
I found two of my old favourites last week whilst sorting through my book cupboard. Did anyone read Josephine Pullein-Thompsons 'one day event' and 'pony club camp'? I've got the treasury of horse & pony stories by the pullein-thompsons somwhere too. Started reading the Riders series by Samantha Alexander again recently too, about Alex Johnson and her pny Barney. Anyone remember those?

appylass

Visit site
'One Day Event' and 'Pony Club Camp' were my absolute favourites, there was 'The Radney Riding Club' and 'Six Ponies' too, with the same characters in. I still have all my old pony books and am so glad I didn't part with them!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ha ha - I Wanted a Pony was my favourite, Three Ponies and Shannan is my Mum's!

My mother curses the former, because as it was written quite a while ago, I thought that when I was little, because of that book, I could pick up a pony, saddle and bridle for buttons and we could get a shed whacked up in the garden for it!

Dubsie

Visit site
When I left home, my mother made me pack up a whole bookcase full which they took to my cousin, for her daughter who only rode about 3 times from what I hear! What a waste! I had 3 shelves the width of my bed, which was in the alcove at the head of my bed, there was a little light (which couldn't be seen under the door due to the alcove being in a recess) so I could read for hours. I'm collecting them up for my daughter, she's enjoying them too.
My favourites were Ruby Ferguson 'Jill' books. Still looking for Rosettes for Jill, but recently seen one on Abe books which is a good source for them & also got lots at our church sale, and a particular Oxfam has had lots over the past 2 years, the location of which I'm not mentioning just in case they have more next time I go!
Have got together about half the books I owned, and a few I didn't own - anyone find the Jackie Wins a Pony series by Judith Berrisford really annoying (& probably why I didn't buy them in the 70s)? (Jackie & cousin Babs put their foot in at any opportunity yet despite their blunders all comes good in the end).

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Did you ever read "A Horse Called September" by Anne Digby?
I loved that book - I lent it to a friend and never got it back
frown.gif

Love that you're getting the collection back together
smile.gif

Kate x

LizzieJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif

smile.gif

Kate x

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked that too, she died him black and the other horse was called King of Prussia?

SpruceRI

Visit site
I still regret selling my 'Jill' books!

I loved any horsey fiction book I could get my hands on, plus the old Enid Blyton ones!

I remember having midnight feasts with my little friends and us repeating the mantra: 'lashings and lashings of hot milk!'

If we couldn't have tinned tuna and pineapple in our midnight feast, it just wasn't cricket!!

I used to ask my Mum why we didn't have 'high tea'? No doubt she told me to sod off!!

And I always dreamed of moving house and finding a pony or donkey in the garden that came as part of the package!

But it never happened for me !!!!!!!!!!

Dubsie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif

smile.gif

Kate x

[/ QUOTE ]
Another good book I'd forgotten about, thank you I will keep an eye out. I didn't own that one, but fairly sure my friend had it or I borrowed it from the library, which meant I read it once as opposed to the ones on my bookshelf dozens of times.
My best friend Tessa & I used to quote chunks out of the Jill books all the time, and we once had a RI teacher who never read homework, just marked it - I automatically got BC or CD and Tessa got AB or BA regardless of who had actually written the homework. We started to write the same homework with a different opening sentence to test this theory (and thereafter to save time, we took it in turns to write the essay), then later we made it a competition to see how many phrases from Jill books we could slot into the essay, in context without being noticed....I think the record was about 15 or 16.
grin.gif

(this was at what is now one of the country's top grammar schools)