Puppy came into season in the afternoon, was with a male pup in the morning, help!!

rubyrumba

Visit site
My 8 month springer plays with an 8 month old doberman at the yard. They were playing in the morning and later that day she came into season. Do you think she will be ok? Obviously they will be kept apart now! Thanks in advance for the replies.

windand rain

Visit site
As long as they were never out of sight for more than a few minutes she will be fine if they do the deed they can tie for up to an hour so I am sure you would have noticed. The most receptive time for a b1tch in season is from 10-14 days although they can mate outside that time and conceive. But as long as he didnt penetrate her everything should be fine if he did get a jab from the vet tomorrow

rubyrumba

Visit site
It was about 7 in the morning and it was dark so i couldn't actually see them the whole time and they spend half the time tearing around!

windand rain

Visit site
Still highly unlikely I am sure she will be fine but for ease of mind call the vet and see if they want to inject her. i doubt they will but they are best placed to advise if she may have been caught

rubyrumba

Visit site
I wanted to ask advice on here first as my feelings are that the vets are out to make money and will say she needs it whether she does or not!!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I would doubt a vet would give a mismate injection in these circumstances. I think it is very unlikely that 2 pups would mate without you hearing some sort of fuss, even if they didnt tie.

rubyrumba

Visit site
I will give them a ring to make sure but just wanted to see what advice was given on here. I don't think anything would have happened but you can never be too careful! Thanks for your thoughts!

Wiz201

Visit site
Bitches aren't ready to mate until you no longer see blood, and the discharge becomes straw coloured, then it goes back to blood before the season ends. I think you can safely class your dog as an adult now:)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Bitches aren't ready to mate until you no longer see blood, and the discharge becomes straw coloured, then it goes back to blood before the season ends. I think you can safely class your dog as an adult now:)

That isn't always the case. I have had a couple of bitches who mated when showing full colour and went on to have litters. Also had one who mated at 23 days when she appeared to have totally gone off season, again she had a litter.

Jools1234

Visit site
she wont have been receptive at that time in her cycle and the injection to abort a litter carries a high risk of pyometra so i would be suspicious of a vet who would be prepared to give it to her in the situation you describe, i know the vets where i work would not give it in your situation