Puppy come into season just before spey appointment -HELP!

Serephin

Visit site
I had my suspicions last week, but it was confirmed this morning at the vets when we took her in to be speyed. She is in season. Only 7 months old, but vets said there is no way of knowing when they are going to have their first season.

So, how do I manage the next few weeks of her season?

Walks on the lead - eyes peeled for other dogs - dog nappies (my husband is horrified at the thought of blood everywhere, although she is keeping herself clean so far) - is it going to be a nightmare? Will she get to the stage where she actively looks for mates and becomes a different dog?

Not sure what to expect really and panicking slightly - any advice welcomed!

Last edited:

BigRed

Visit site
Calm down dear, it's only a season... Unless you live somewhere where there are a lot of dogs roaming the streets, you are unlikely to be molested while on a walk. None of my bitches changes in their temperaments when they are in season. The first season can sometime last longer, and depending on how large a dog she is, will depend on he much blood she spots around the house. How much mess she makes depends on how you keep your dog. Lots of people seem to have laminate floors these days, and it's very simple to wipe a few blood spots up.

I would not leave her in the garden unattended, because unless your garden is like fort knox, there is always the possibility a male dog will get in.

Serephin

Visit site
Calm down dear, it's only a season... Unless you live somewhere where there are a lot of dogs roaming the streets, you are unlikely to be molested while on a walk. None of my bitches changes in their temperaments when they are in season. The first season can sometime last longer, and depending on how large a dog she is, will depend on he much blood she spots around the house. How much mess she makes depends on how you keep your dog. Lots of people seem to have laminate floors these days, and it's very simple to wipe a few blood spots up.

I would not leave her in the garden unattended, because unless your garden is like fort knox, there is always the possibility a male dog will get in.

*breathes into paper bag*

She is a mini schnauzer. We do have laminate floors and the downstairs carpet is trashed anyway due to puking cats over the years, so not a disaster as being replaced in the new year anyway. *feels slightly better*

Good point about the garden - we have blocked up any escape routes as she likes to bog off on adventures - but there are two dogs next door and I am not sure if they still have their danglies or not.

I just wondered whether she would turn into a sex crazed temptress. I know my cat did. lol

Naryafluffy

Visit site
Just burst out laughing at my desk reading that part, getting some funny looks now!!!

Agree with checking the garden, there was a thread on here earlier in the year where a sex crazed temptress took herself off to find a man (and found one).
My friends bitch wears what she calls her 'Period Pants', which completly freaks out my friend!!!

BigRed

Visit site
Dogs are not generally like cats in this regard, but if you know she squeezes out of your garden, don't leave her in the garden ! also it means other dogs can get in. Don't risk it.

My Mum used to put some old knickers on our doberman bitch.

MiCsarah

Visit site
My bitch gets quite over protective in her first week and then just because a sex pest to my poor dog (he is done and not interested in humping her at all until she manages to get him in the correct position). Shes usually a very shy girly but loves a nice play with the boys who she would generally ignore.

Broodle

Visit site
I thought that it was best for all bitches to have their first season anyway before being speyed?

It seems to be a matter open for debate. As with all things, there are pros and cons on both sides. My vet talked it through with me and the medical arguments for and against seemed pretty balanced, so once I factored in the 'avoid an unwanted litter at all costs' issue it was an easy decision to have mine both done at 6 months.

OP - I have never had an entire bitch, but I think I would be being super paranoid in your shoes and avoiding walks full stop, at least at the height of her season. But there are several very irresponsible owners whop have entire dogs with no recall round here, so I may be being a bit OTT :p

Oenoke

Visit site
This is why I don't like speying before the 1st season, they can come in at anytime and you really don't know when and if they are about to come in it increases the risks.

If she's keeping herself clean you probably will hardly see any signs of blood left around, I've had 3 bitches, the 1st 2 were really clean and hardly any drops of blood, the 3rd was a bit like a blood bath her 1st season (and she's the 1 with the cream knickers), but she was alot cleaner her 2nd season. 1 bitch became very grumpy and snarky during her seasons, the other 2 didn't really change, if anything a bit more cuddly.

Keep her on lead and walk her places other dogs don't very often go and times they don't go. I'm lucky I have 6 acres here the dogs can run and play in and there are farmers field all around where very few other dogs are walked.

ladyt25

Visit site
It's been a long time since our family had a bitch that wasn't speyed but when we did i don't recall any blood or any temperament change. I just got a rescue dog on saturday and she's 9 mths. She's booked in to be speyed in 2 weeks as they wanted to be 100% sure she'd finished her season. I will actually be interested if she changed temperament wise as she's been quite OTT on trying to be fussed/cuddled and I don't know if her ending her season is adding to this behaviour.

Serephin

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

no change in temperament really, maybe a bit more bouncy, can't really tell! We did get her a pair of doggie knickers with pads in so she can sit on hubby's lap and the sofa. She is pant free at the moment and seems to be clean, so hopefully we will be okay.

There are a few dog walkers around here, but seem quite responsible - we are not letting her off the lead until she has come of season, don't want to risk it.

She is booked in at the vets for March.