Puppy has a limited appetite?

sam-b

Visit site
Finally I persuaded the other half (or got him to cave) and have this week picked up a wcs puppy. She is 8 weeks old, (almost 9) and is lovely and lively. However she does not seem that interested in food. I collected her Monday and I know it's been very hot but she just picks at her food. The breeder gave me some and she barely touched it (csj) she has had some wet food but still doesn't eat it with any real enthusiasm. My Terriers and collies have always been the opposite ! She eats eventually but probably takes her 20 mins. She might have a bit then wonders then goes back.... I have had her in the crate to eat. The vet has seen her and is happy with her. She was weighed at 2.5kg at the start if the week.

3Beasties

Visit site
My WCS has been that way since I got her too, she's now two and still doesn't eat that well. She's definitley eating less this week with the heat too!
I'd try not to worry, just keep an eye on her weight and make sure she stays hydrated!

GirlFriday

Visit site
If there is suddenly no competition for food will that make a difference?

I'm guessing that to date she has been in with the other pups, not in a crate on her own...

I've never crated a dog so have limited experience of that. But my own rehome didn't eat anything for the first 36ish hours I think - was really worried - but he has settled into a routine now.

I'd probably been slightly misinformed about what his old diet was so efforts to replicate won't have been that successful... but even now he won't take those liver cube things people treat with and is non-food-oriented enough to walk through a meat market without blinking (we do it regularly!). Some are just that way out, so, if she is eating & pooing regularly and seems otherwise happy & healthy I wouldn't worry too much. It was a bit of a culture shock for me after my last one though!

pippixox

Visit site
I think it depends on the dog.
my last dog (GSD got aged 2) would eat anything you gave him. Even though he was actually intolerant to lots and had to have a raw diet
new rescue, aged 2, is a collie. At last home she apparently ate anything. but for the first week with us she was very picky and hardly ate. I had to be in the room with her- panicked if i went upstairs. I switch her to nice smelly tripe raw and that got her interested! She is always a little fussy- 6 month later she will decide a slightly different meat (happened to get some goat yesterday) isn't to her taste and takes ages to eat!

my MIL got 2 puppies, 2 weeks apart, both shetland sheep dog girls. One inhales her food- the other nibbles and rarely finishes. they are all unique.