Puppy Pooing Blood

Cedars

Visit site
9 week old lab pup started pooing blood yesterday. Bright red, not mixed in with the stool at all, either at the beginning or the end of the stool. Sometimes with a little white or clear mucus. No signs of pain and still completely right as rain in himself - drinking and eating fine, playing and being daft.

Spoken to vets yesterday and today, they seem very unconcerned about him, told me to feed him just chicken for today and then see what he's like after the weekend, so long as he's still eating and drinking fine (which he is).

Any experiences? Keeping a super close eye on him but he is genuinely absolutely fine. Worried about parvo but would be very unlikely without any other symptoms surely? He has had his first vacs, second one due on the 5th.

Thanks!

And a photo of the sleepy one:

F4209CF2-7F1A-426E-AB19-4C8A4FAA09E0-1518-000000BCAF2E4EF7_zps8cf96e6a.jpg

X

Cedars

Visit site
Possibly very slightly on the squishy side but still very formed and he has complete control - he asks to go out and has yet to mess in the house. He circles and plans before he squats.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Sounds like colitis (inflammation of large intestine), normally diet related. Still get an appoint at vets as there are drugs that will settle it down.

Parvo is unlikely as he's still well, no vomiting and wanting to eat? Also he'd have diahh xx

Cedars

Visit site
Yep he's desperate to eat (he's a lab!) and no vomitting at all apart from once on the first day home (sunday) in the car. But other than that everything kept down. Drinking well too. Glad you're thinking parvo unlikely too.

He's on exactly the same food as the breeder had him on, I wonder if he has eaten something outside. Just spoken to breeder who is not concerned and happy for me to wait until monday to take to vet - unless obv he shows any signs of not being right over the weekend. Hmmmmmm bloody dogs!

Cedars

Visit site
Think I might run him in later, would rather be a fool easily parted with money now than over the weekend! :p

Cedars

Visit site
Update: seen vet. No temp, no soreness anywhere when palpated, all looking perfect except the blood. She's given him an antibiotic shot, plus a bunch for me to take home, just in case but she's convinced he's just eaten something he shouldn't. Chicken over the weekend then I'll ring again Monday and we'll see what we do from there. X

Aru

Visit site
If he is bright and happy in himself.Still eating drinking and exercising normally it is not an emergency. Parvo is unlikely if hes not showing any other signs of illness thankfully :)

But thanks to his age he will need to be watched like a hawk for anything out of the ordinary.

Its most likely he just ate something he shouldn't and his system has rejected it.

joelb

Visit site
Is pup up to date with worming? Friend’s pup had same symptoms last year and was found to have high worm burden despite being born in rescue and following strict worming programme. May be something to consider if it doesn’t clear up quickly.

Cute little fella. Love puppies….when they’re sleepy :D

Cedars

Visit site
Little update - after 3 antibiotic doses and a meal of boiled chicken last night, he is now not pooing at all (since 10pm last night) which I'm going to take as a good sign (so long as he does poo eventually!)

He is RAVENOUSLY hungry - he had a whole chicken breast yesterday (split over 4 mini meals) and has already had a whole, smaller breast this morning - but is absolutely starving and running around the kitchen yapping?

I will feed him lunch in a bit but I'm not sure how much to give him! I just spoke to the vet who said he basically can have as much as he wants - not sure she's met a Labrador before! :p

Cedars

Visit site
Update again: did one very tiny but solid poo yesterday, with a tiny amount of blood in. This morning did normal sized solid poo with no blood at all! :) I did a little dance haha.

Will keep him on chicken until tomorrow morning and then start mixing with normal food x