Puppy prices ?

palo1

Visit site
A Jack Russell type maybe but they are KC registered now and shown rather highly in the UK and across the continent...

Gah!! A JRT is a way of life, a philosophy, something that cannot be described or contained by the KC!! :p:p I know that well bred JRTs are a thing and very lovely they are too but I am nostalgic for the 'old' ways where a JRT was basically any small earth dog, either short legged or long, smooth or wiry etc that you wanted to describe as one. My grandfather had such dogs all his life as did various other relatives. Most were called Spot and spent their lives hanging out of the passenger window of a farm pickup. It is good that registered JRTs are probably sounder in body and possibly in mind but I still hanker for old type...:)

masajackrussells

Visit site
Gah!! A JRT is a way of life, a philosophy, something that cannot be described or contained by the KC!! :p:p I know that well bred JRTs are a thing and very lovely they are too but I am nostalgic for the 'old' ways where a JRT was basically any small earth dog, either short legged or long, smooth or wiry etc that you wanted to describe as one. My grandfather had such dogs all his life as did various other relatives. Most were called Spot and spent their lives hanging out of the passenger window of a farm pickup. It is good that registered JRTs are probably sounder in body and possibly in mind but I still hanker for old type...:)
I agree with you those dogs are fab! But there is room for both in my opinion.

Smitty

Visit site
Love it! Reserve champion at Eridge a couple of years back if I remember rightly. She gets ridiculously excited as soon as she sees the orange fencing!

Mine SHRIEKS as soon as we arrive. I took him to a working terrier show last year and he kept trying to hurl himself into the boxes in the back of open car boots! I had to shove him back in the car. There wasn't even any terrier racing that day, just the lurchers.

As for the Quantock show, he would have won the best terrier class if he had kept his gob shut! One glimpse of the orange netting and the boxes at the end and he was beside himself. Sadly, this was near the bar and all my friends were complaining at how rowdy he was ? so I had to go and sit miles away by the cars until it was time for the racing ?

masajackrussells

Visit site
Mine SHRIEKS as soon as we arrive. I took him to a working terrier show last year and he kept trying to hurl himself into the boxes in the back of open car boots! I had to shove him back in the car. There wasn't even any terrier racing that day, just the lurchers.

As for the Quantock show, he would have won the best terrier class if he had kept his gob shut! One glimpse of the orange netting and the boxes at the end and he was beside himself. Sadly, this was near the bar and all my friends were complaining at how rowdy he was ? so I had to go and sit miles away by the cars until it was time for the racing ?
This sounds so familiar :p

Smitty

Visit site
Surely this is the only legit way to acquire a JRT? That or get 'given' one...!!

Mine came off Preloved. He was quite expensive at £250 but did come from the requisite dodgy people complete with fleas, worms and a quite probably dubious docking certificate, all of which pushed the price up ? He was more like 7 weeks as well and when I asked if there was a bit of food I could have to introduce a new diet slowly, was told they had run out and any puppy food would do !!!

{97702}

Visit site
It’s funny reading your post Palo, my mum goes mad if I describe George as a JRT and says of course he isn’t - and I have to say I agree with her ?

The lovely terriers in MasaJackRusells profile pic are (unsurprisingly!) what I’d think of as a JRT - mainly white with tan/tricolour markings, slightly less stocky than George and usually slightly (but not a lot) longer in leg ?

George is a generalist terrier to me ? Well ok he is a mongrel really.... I can never decide whether he actually has some pug in his breeding or whether it’s his partially collapsed larynx that makes him sound like that ?.... but he is adorable whatever he is ❤️❤️❤️

MurphysMinder

Visit site
It’s funny reading your post Palo, my mum goes mad if I describe George as a JRT and says of course he isn’t - and I have to say I agree with her ?

The lovely terriers in MasaJackRusells profile pic are (unsurprisingly!) what I’d think of as a JRT - mainly white with tan/tricolour markings, slightly less stocky than George and usually slightly (but not a lot) longer in leg ?

George is a generalist terrier to me ? Well ok he is a mongrel really.... I can never decide whether he actually has some pug in his breeding or whether it’s his partially collapsed larynx that makes him sound like that ?.... but he is adorable whatever he is ❤️❤️❤️

I'm with your mum :). To me a JRT should be mainly white, in fact the JR club of GB (nothing to do with the KC) states predominantly white in their breed standard. You quite often see people saying they have black and tan JRTs, to me they aren't true Jack Russells, though lovely dogs.

masajackrussells

Visit site

I think that's the thing though. The Jack Russell Terrier that we all grew up knowing and loving are now known as a 'type', to distinguish them from those that are now bred to follow what is originally the FCI breed standard that has been adopted by the KC. Their size can range hugely which is absolutely fine because they could have had any number of other breeds in them somewhere down the line. They are fab little dogs but it worries me how little thought goes into their breeding sometimes. Although this can also happen with KC registered dogs.

{97702}

Visit site
I'm with your mum :). To me a JRT should be mainly white, in fact the JR club of GB (nothing to do with the KC) states predominantly white in their breed standard. You quite often see people saying they have black and tan JRTs, to me they aren't true Jack Russells, though lovely dogs.

I might get a proper JRT next time.... ????

masajackrussells

Visit site
Exactly, the KC states the same. The JR club of GB hate the KC :p

{97702}

Visit site
I think that's the thing though. The Jack Russell Terrier that we all grew up knowing and loving are now known as a 'type', to distinguish them from those that are now bred to follow what is originally the FCI breed standard that has been adopted by the KC. Their size can range hugely which is absolutely fine because they could have had any number of other breeds in them somewhere down the line. They are fab little dogs but it worries me how little thought goes into their breeding sometimes. Although this can also happen with KC registered dogs.

I totally agree - as someone who grew up with show dogs, I can honestly say that no thought at all went into making George however much I adore him ? His front end is appalling (Queen Anne legs), his back end is very weak, he is a really peculiar barrel shaped spring of rib that makes him look fat when he isn’t!

You’ll get used to me ranting about the negative effect the KC can have on breed appearance I’m afraid but I don’t think they’ll do the JRT any favours either ?

masajackrussells

Visit site
I totally agree - as someone who grew up with show dogs, I can honestly say that no thought at all went into making George however much I adore him ? His front end is appalling (Queen Anne legs), his back end is very weak, he is a really peculiar barrel shaped spring of rib that makes him look fat when he isn’t!

You’ll get used to me ranting about the negative effect the KC can have on breed appearance I’m afraid but I don’t think they’ll do the JRT any favours either ?
There's someone on pets4homes advertising their stud dog with 'perfect queen anne legs'...

It's difficult with the KC. The purpose of it I feel is correct but I think the main problem is people's desire to win all the time. Breeders need to stick true to the breed standard when they are planning their litters, not chase whatever looks like it's winning in the showring at the time. A lot of which is because of who is on the end of the lead rather than the dog itself! When I look at the back end of a GSD now compared to in the 70s and 80s I just want to cry. Ultimately I think it is down to the breeders to have some integrity but unfortunately that allure of first prize can override it.

palo1

Visit site
I might get a proper JRT next time.... ????

I definately prefer the look of the 'proper' JRTs though of the pedigree types the Parsons (is this actually considered to be a kind of JRT or an entirely separate breed now?) is my favourite. I am a sap for long legged terriers. I agree that most of the JRTs I knew were mostly white - usually with 1 solid black patch and or an eye patch. My grandfather's dogs tended to be small, smooth haired,mostly white with black ears and a black patch - hence many generations of 'Spot'. George may or may not technically 'qualify' even for 'historic type JRT' - but he just 'seems' so JRT Levrier!! I just remember those dogs of my childhood - absolutely typey and sometimes of known breeding, usually acquired informally, possibly in the pub and generally considered to be an all round good thing, albeit with an independent, essentially challenging nature. I was a bit ambivalent about their registration with the KC as I couldn't see much danger of us losing them and the things that have happened to some breeds under the aegis of the KC are pretty depressing in my view. I don't mean any disrespect to responsible breeders so I really hope I wouldn't cause offence by saying that. :) I just like the idea of a kind of national mongrel that the old JRT seemed to be and for me embodied a certain kind of attitude and way of life that still speaks to me.

masajackrussells

Visit site
I definately prefer the look of the 'proper' JRTs though of the pedigree types the Parsons (is this actually considered to be a kind of JRT or an entirely separate breed now?) is my favourite. I am a sap for long legged terriers. I agree that most of the JRTs I knew were mostly white - usually with 1 solid black patch and or an eye patch. My grandfather's dogs tended to be small, smooth haired,mostly white with black ears and a black patch - hence many generations of 'Spot'. George may or may not technically 'qualify' even for 'historic type JRT' - but he just 'seems' so JRT Levrier!! I just remember those dogs of my childhood - absolutely typey and sometimes of known breeding, usually acquired informally, possibly in the pub and generally considered to be an all round good thing, albeit with an independent, essentially challenging nature. I was a bit ambivalent about their registration with the KC as I couldn't see much danger of us losing them and the things that have happened to some breeds under the aegis of the KC are pretty depressing in my view. I don't mean any disrespect to responsible breeders so I really hope I wouldn't cause offence by saying that. :) I just like the idea of a kind of national mongrel that the old JRT seemed to be and for me embodied a certain kind of attitude and way of life that still speaks to me.
This is the thing. There's no way we will ever lose that old JRT type and we absolutely shouldn't. I just wish people who think their pet is cute wouldn't breed from it with the dog down the road that it's owner couldn't be bothered to castrate if you know what I mean. There needs to be thought going into it.

{97702}

Visit site
Parsons are a separate breed according to the KC now Palo... the ‘pure show’ exhibitors are busy trashing them into something unrecognisable too ?

I will get a small friend for George at some point but it will be great fun trying to find one he will accept and that Ace doesn’t want to eat ??

Smitty

Visit site
My understanding is that they were originally bred from a tallish white dog (Trump) which had face markings and a spot at the base of the tail. The hunting Parson bred them to run with hounds and then go to earth and they are traditionally white with face markings, with a spot on base of tail allowed.

I love going to working terrier shows and overheard a couple of chaps who had come along with the judge saying they no longer showed as the dogs had become show ponies and were not capable of good work as being bred too small purely for the ring (these were Patterdales being judged at the time).

I think this deserves a completely new thread?

Smitty

Visit site
We are looking for another lab puppy. Most of the prices are in excess of 1500 with the max I've seen at 2500 for puppies!! We already have a 10 year old lab and thought it was a great time to get another but clearly everyone else thinks the same ha ha

I know of someone in W Somerset who has a litter of black ones. A friend of mine is having one and apparently it parents have good test scores. If this is any good to you I can make further enquiries.