Puppy prices ?

masajackrussells

Visit site
And yet you can get a cavalier puppy from health tested parents for £1400.... well you can’t, because they were all sold before they were born, but the principle is there!
This is the problem, Joe Bloggs with is 'want it now' attitude doesn't want to wait and pay less for a decent pup, he just wants it now whatever the cost!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
And yet you can get a cavalier puppy from health tested parents for £1400.... well you can’t, because they were all sold before they were born, but the principle is there!

Yep, top quality GSDs with all health tests are generally going for about 1200 - 1500. One well known breeder is asking £1800 (for a very nicely bred litter I must admit), and she is being criticised by majority of her peers for cashing in ! But most are booked well before they are born, and as already said people just don't seem to be prepared to wait.

Nasicus

Visit site
Puppy prices are incredible at the moment. My sister works in a vet practice, and the amount of absolute genetic disasters that come in through the doors (or rather, to the doors to be handed to the vet for treatment as is protocol right now!) and the price-tags attached to them? Hooooboy. People paying through the nose for runty, sickly and most likely incompatible with life save for medical intervention puppies.

For what it's worth, I'm on the waiting list for a relatively rare (in the UK) breed puppy, from a very loving home, a responsible breeder who does maybe one or two litters a year, shows and does very well including Crufts wins in breed category. All health tested, fantastic examples of the breed, potential homes thoroughly vetted etc etc.
The price?
£1000 for a puppy.
The caveat? A long waitlist. I'm not expecting my turn until late next year at the very earliest, and I'm a-okay with that. I am more than happy to wait to support a breeder who does it for the love, passion and betterment of the breed, as opposed to churning them out for quick bucks.

If I were so inclined, I could go out this afternoon and spent 3-4x that and come home with some designer mutt of dubious origin and health. There's always someone willing to sell you something for the right amount of cash, and I think that's part of the problem. You can just turn up, hand over your cash and you've got a puppy, no questions asked (by either buyer or seller, if buyers perhaps asked a few questions we might see fewer pity parties on facebook from people who forked over several grand for a puppy sold to them from the back of someones car on the side of the motorway, who were then shocked to discover the puppy is gravely ill/poorly bred/actually a large rat painted black etc.)

Gosh, reading that back, I sound like a right miserable cow! But it's something I feel so strongly about. If people just pumped the brakes, did their research and asked the appropriate questions, there wouldn't be such an extortionate and exploitative (for both dog and human) market.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Puppy prices are incredible at the moment. My sister works in a vet practice, and the amount of absolute genetic disasters that come in through the doors (or rather, to the doors to be handed to the vet for treatment as is protocol right now!) and the price-tags attached to them? Hooooboy. People paying through the nose for runty, sickly and most likely incompatible with life save for medical intervention puppies.

For what it's worth, I'm on the waiting list for a relatively rare (in the UK) breed puppy, from a very loving home, a responsible breeder who does maybe one or two litters a year, shows and does very well including Crufts wins in breed category. All health tested, fantastic examples of the breed, potential homes thoroughly vetted etc etc.
The price?
£1000 for a puppy.
The caveat? A long waitlist. I'm not expecting my turn until late next year at the very earliest, and I'm a-okay with that. I am more than happy to wait to support a breeder who does it for the love, passion and betterment of the breed, as opposed to churning them out for quick bucks.

If I were so inclined, I could go out this afternoon and spent 3-4x that and come home with some designer mutt of dubious origin and health. There's always someone willing to sell you something for the right amount of cash, and I think that's part of the problem. You can just turn up, hand over your cash and you've got a puppy, no questions asked (by either buyer or seller, if buyers perhaps asked a few questions we might see fewer pity parties on facebook from people who forked over several grand for a puppy sold to them from the back of someones car on the side of the motorway, who were then shocked to discover the puppy is gravely ill/poorly bred/actually a large rat painted black etc.)

Gosh, reading that back, I sound like a right miserable cow! But it's something I feel so strongly about. If people just pumped the brakes, did their research and asked the appropriate questions, there wouldn't be such an extortionate and exploitative (for both dog and human) market.

People are doing more research over on the phone thread in the Club House ?

I'm surprised the FCI hasn't started recognising doodles, it's only a matter of time.

Clodagh

Visit site
A little while ago I admired a spinone I met in town, the owner said she nearly hugged me as everyone thought he was a labradoodle !

I did the same to a lady last year, she was quite overcome! (TBH I can't really tell :Dbut I would always rather guess a pure breed and she didn't look like a doodle person).

Clodagh

Visit site
People are doing more research over on the phone thread in the Club House ?

I'm surprised the FCI hasn't started recognising doodles, it's only a matter of time.

I'm really surprised the KC hasn't yet, they must be getting ulcers over the money they are missing out on.

palo1

Visit site
By no means an expert but we have some perfectly lovely rare breeds that are under utilised and yet a boom on weird X breeds .... I blame Instagram

Yes and that is particularly sad as the years and care that has gone into those breeds - most of which had a 'purpose' and for which good examples are supremely suited, tried and tested are being edged out by fashionable and sometimes utterly ridiculous cross breeds. Many of which will be unhealthy and unsuited to the life they find themselves in. :(

Clodagh

Visit site
Yes and that is particularly sad as the years and care that has gone into those breeds - most of which had a 'purpose' and for which good examples are supremely suited, tried and tested are being edged out by fashionable and sometimes utterly ridiculous cross breeds. Many of which will be unhealthy and unsuited to the life they find themselves in. :(

I don't know. At least with a pug x whippet you would stand a chance of catching up with it as it tried to vanish over the horizon. I'm probably faster than one of those!

palo1

Visit site
A little while ago I admired a spinone I met in town, the owner said she nearly hugged me as everyone thought he was a labradoodle !

Yes, I get this; Red IT has been accused (mostly) of being red setter x schnauzer or a red Schnoodle (on account of his beard I guess). Thankfully some people suggest a small Airedale. Tbh, quite a lot of the time he does look like a heinz 57 bless him but then a country gent doesn't always dress like one either!!:p:p I loved the fact that I knew exactly what I was going to get when I bought him. The only cross breed I really love is a proper lurcher (for me that is a sighthound x collie or terrier) but I always think they have been given the test of time and health too. (mostly!) :) Poor bloody dogs being bred for the numpty market :( :(

P3LH

Visit site
apologies for any choking hazards caused.

I should have stressed I met the cairn x frenchie today. It resembled a creature form the Jim Henson film labyrinth and I didn’t ask how much he had cost them (looked maybe about twelve weeks or so) but can assume it was a hefty price tag.

As for the scrotum looking dog i mentioned, I met it in a local country pub garden one evening after a bit too much sun and cider. What happened next when the owner called it a chiston hairless and told me they were going to cross it to their neighbours blue frenchie as it was a rare colour—I’ll leave to your imagination.

{97702}

Visit site
apologies for any choking hazards caused.

I should have stressed I met the cairn x frenchie today. It resembled a creature form the Jim Henson film labyrinth and I didn’t ask how much he had cost them (looked maybe about twelve weeks or so) but can assume it was a hefty price tag.

As for the scrotum looking dog i mentioned, I met it in a local country pub garden one evening after a bit too much sun and cider. What happened next when the owner called it a chiston hairless and told me they were going to cross it to their neighbours blue frenchie as it was a rare colour—I’ll leave to your imagination.

OMG I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one ???

BBP

Visit site
An acquaintance is proudly posting pictures of their new pug puppy. Not cheap. They are clearly besotted. I can’t find a single good thing to say about it. I’ve never been a pug fan, but this poor thing looks horrendous. It has massive eyes that look way too big for its skull, like they could pop out of their sockets at any minute, they don’t even point the same direction, it’s like he’s the opposite of cross eyed, with both eyes rolled outwards. I feel so sorry for it.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I went my mother to her puppy classes a few years ago. In the class after hers was a lovely white standard poodle puppy, obviously a show prospect. She asked the owner if it was a doodle. I apologized later and the owner was very nice about it. I guess she gets it a lot.

Smitty

Visit site
Palo 1, I do so agree with you Re lurchers. I love them, the trad ones that is. My sister got one at Stow Fair some 40 years ago. Whippet/Collie/Beddy/Grey, he was absolutely lovely, very fast and entirely unsuited to an unfenced farmhouse garden with ducks in a neighbouring property, just a short sprint across the lane, a couple of dry stone walls and fields and he was in there. The ducks I believe flew to safety and returned some weeks later but the police were called, dog had an injunction put on him ? and he was headline news in that weeks local paper.

A friend of mine has a Weimaraner/Staff/Grey. It looks nothing like a lurcher, more like a Weimaraner, but if people ask she says lurcher, due I suppose to the 1/4 Greyhound. I find it ever so irritating...