Puppy prices ?

Follysmum

Visit site
We lost our dog a while ago and have just been lurking at the ads really to get a feel of what type we will get when the time is right and we are ready for a new member to join us.

Am I totally out of touch or have prices just totally exploded. Some want £3-4 thousand ?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am also looking for a lab puppy over here in Ireland and finding the same thing. And very little chance of getting on a reputable breeders list - one so called 'reputable breeder has no plans for any more litters until sometime in 2021, but he would happily take €150 deposit from me to secure a place on the waiting list for those as yet unborn puppies! I don't think so. :eek: More than happy to put a deposit on an existing pup or even a litter from a bitch that is already in pup but I really though he was pushing it frankly.

Prices have rocketed during the pandemic and suddenly everyone who was at home wanted a puppy - I have already seen two VERY worrying posts on FB pages from the new novice dog/pup owners struggling hugely and wanting help or any suggestions how they can rehome as they are going back to work :(

Fortunately I have made contact with someone who I was already friends with but had totally forgotten is an experienced and reputable dog breeder who hopes to have a litter ready this autumn and I will hopefully have one of those pups.

Thats if I am not tempted to get one of the dumped on rescue glut of unwanted pups that will be appearing very soon:mad:

Follysmum

Visit site
there is a gorgeous terrier type pup on the thread Let it Begin that needs a good home , victim of covididiot buying a puppy for lockdown

Thankyou
I don’t think we are ready just at the moment. Too soon after losing my other dog. Hopefully someone will offer a loving home

Michen

Visit site
Yep completely mental. I was lucky and found mine through an aquaintance of an aquantance and paid a normal price of £600 for a springer spaniel pup.

Lots of people wanting dogs due to lock down. I suppose I'm one of them, I'm not sure I'd have got an 8 week old puppy without lock down I'd have probably gone for something older.. 6 months plus as it would have been a struggle re house training under "normal" circumstances.

bonny

Visit site
Yep completely mental. I was lucky and found mine through an aquaintance of an aquantance and paid a normal price of £600 for a springer spaniel pup.

Lots of people wanting dogs due to lock down. I suppose I'm one of them, I'm not sure I'd have got an 8 week old puppy without lock down I'd have probably gone for something older.. 6 months plus as it would have been a struggle re house training under "normal" circumstances.
How are you getting on with your puppy ?

GSD Woman

Visit site
I paid US$1800 for Freddie. Her breeder owed me 1100 so I didn't have to come up with too much cash. I'll get another dog from her if I get another one when I lose Rudy. Some GSD breeders in the USA charge $3000+ for puppies. That is insane.

Aru

Visit site
Dogs in Australia have always been expensive. Free puppies aren't a thing in urban areas. Adult dogs yes but not pups. Even the large breed mixers staffy bull arab style crosses cost several hundred.
Thousands isn't that unusual for a well bred pedigree dog from health tested lines.
Frenchies regardless of breeding papers go for anywhere between 2500 and 10000.
The poodle mixes regularly cost 2000 to 5000 thousand. Even one of the large reputable rescues sold cavalier mix puppies for 2000.
Covid has has made things even more insane.

Supply and demand. The prices will come down again post Covid but they are unlikely to drop massively. Its been a sready rise for years here.
I'd like to say it makes people more responsible because they paid a hugh price and therefore have a higher value on the dog...but there's still always a percentage of people who just see them as disposable regardless of purchase price.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
There was a post doing the rounds on Facebook, which I'm pretty sure was genuine, from a woman who had put down a deposit on a springer pup. Two days before she was due to pick it up she got a text from the breeder demanding another £400 on top of the original price. She refused and lost the pup, which went to someone who was prepared to pay £1200 at a day's notice. She only got her deposit back after speaking to Trading Standards.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
There was a post doing the rounds on Facebook, which I'm pretty sure was genuine, from a woman who had put down a deposit on a springer pup. Two days before she was due to pick it up she got a text from the breeder demanding another £400 on top of the original price. She refused and lost the pup, which went to someone who was prepared to pay £1200 at a day's notice. She only got her deposit back after speaking to Trading Standards.

I saw that on the English springer page. Disgraceful behaviour from the breeder who showed her true colours by refusing to stick to the agreed price. She also tried to say that the ‘contract’ stated she could raise the price. The potential buyer posted the supposed contract which wasn’t actually a contract at all and nowhere did it say she could raise the price. Just shows what the breeder was after and it certainly wasn’t the best home for the puppy.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
I saw that on the English springer page. Disgraceful behaviour from the breeder who showed her true colours by refusing to stick to the agreed price. She also tried to say that the ‘contract’ stated she could raise the price. The potential buyer posted the supposed contract which wasn’t actually a contract at all and nowhere did it say she could raise the price. Just shows what the breeder was after and it certainly wasn’t the best home for the puppy.

I thought the best bit was where the breeder tried to say the council had advised her to put the price up The sheer brass neck of these people. :mad:

SOS

Visit site
Market has exploded with demand. Puppies you could barely give away before are being sold within hours. To put it in perspective we’ve registered more puppies in the last 2 months than the past 18 months...

Michen

Visit site
Market has exploded with demand. Puppies you could barely give away before are being sold within hours. To put it in perspective we’ve registered more puppies in the last 2 months than the past 18 months...

Where are the excess puppies suddenly coming from though? Even if say in April you decided to breed based on what was happening it would still be too early for "surplus" pups to have been bred by now...

SOS

Visit site
Where are the excess puppies suddenly coming from though? Even if say in April you decided to breed based on what was happening it would still be too early for "surplus" pups to have been bred by now...

I have no idea! But many many of these owners are people who have never owned dogs before and have recently become owners. I hope innocently, but from the lack of education of some I fear ignorantly. Most of the puppies we are registering currently were born late March time. So just passed 8 weeks, so were bred late Jan/early Feb. The amount that are not microchipped over 8 weeks old and/or the owner reports the breeder has blocked them is scary.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I would guess you all are seeing a bunch of puppies from the Eastern European puppy mills/farms. In the US we have enough home grown millers that most puppies in stores, etc come from those places, many Amish. Today we had an 8 week old "Cav-a-chon" in from the local puppy store. Years ago the man sold AKC pups but I was one of the people behind his "breeders" losing AKC registration privileges. Now his puppies are registered with all sorts of bogus registries.