Puppy prices ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Anyone buying one would need good insurance, that's for sure.

On that note, an acquaintance of an acquaintance paid a five figure sum for a dog which has variously run away from a simulated home invasion and bitten an innocent tradesman minding their own business at the end of the driveway, all in a matter of weeks.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Exactly this! A well trained police/tactical dog is a very different cup of tea; they have a very clear working life and context and there is a training system in place. I have known retired police dogs (living with their handlers) and they were all brilliant tbh - not at all unnerving!! However a 'protection dog' trained in an unknown 'system' and with such a vague working context I would find difficult...

A client of my trainer was persuaded into buying a protection GSD. It bit the guy, he was terrified of leaving his wife in the house with it. Last I heard, my trainer was telling them they had to return it because all it knew to do was bite/guard. The website for the seller was all very professional but dear Lord, why would an ordinary retired couple need such a dog?

Wants to run fast but can't breathe. Outstanding.

I dunno, I thought I was looking at a pug running with a jogger today and started to get horrified, but as I drove past, I saw it had a proper nose, just the pug bum/colour/size and it was trying to outrun the owner, looking like it was loving the run!

BBP

Visit site
Completely agree. Something about the photos of the bitch does not sit well. I don't know much about labs, but if I was paying £2.5k per puppy I would want to see a bitch that looked healthier and happier than that one. No KC reg and no vaccinations. And a breeder who sells two litter mates to the same person. Nothing about it feels good. And yet someone will buy them for that money, and validate their profiteering.

SAujla

Visit site
Also looks like the same arm holding 'mum' and the pups. Obviously could have been taken genuinely on visit to pick pups up but that doesn't sound plausible. No vaccinations done either and all vets have been doing them for a while. Giving it a whole 4 days before deciding other dog won't accept them. It's sad this ad was posted and the person feels its okay for public viewing, not even trying to hide shameful behaviour or what's worse is not thinking its shameful at all

SAujla

Visit site
Completely agree. Something about the photos of the bitch does not sit well. I don't know much about labs, but if I was paying £2.5k per puppy I would want to see a bitch that looked healthier and happier than that one. No KC reg and no vaccinations. And a breeder who sells two litter mates to the same person. Nothing about it feels good. And yet someone will buy them for that money, and validate their profiteering.
I got my pup in February and the highest price I came across when looking was £1400, it's just got out of control very quickly. For the silver Labs it was £2,000 but they weren't really Labs I don't think but a cross between a weimaraner and a Lab but stated as a silver Lab (just guessing). I found finding a good pup really difficult and that was before the lockdown chaos, I've no idea how I'd do it now. What breeder sells two littermates early and then refuses to take them back, if all of that is even true of course

P3LH

Visit site
I have seen Pembroke corgi’s On a certain website being advertised between 2500 and 3200 since lockdown. They are exploited financially in there at the best of times.

Mine was purchased last August for £1000 from a long time, and respected, breeder, judge (including BIS) and exhibitor.

My rough collies boys cost me £700 7 years ago and £850 nearly 10 years ago, I think they average these days about £1000.

I met someone walking who had a caverpoo puppy who had recently cost 3500.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The cost of my two dogs combined, from fully health tested/qualified/accomplished parents (and for many generations), who've gone on to do quite a bit themselves, as well as being pets, still don't match the price of most of the pups on this thread, that have absolutely nothing behind them.
Grifters gonna grift, I wouldn't be rewarding them with my wages.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Next door’s yorkiepoo arrives on Friday. I wouldn’t dream of asking how much they paid, but given the current climate and the particular much hyped ‘won’t shed/‘hypoallergenic‘ of poodle crosses, I’m guessing minimum £2K.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Next door’s yorkiepoo arrives on Friday. I wouldn’t dream of asking how much they paid, but given the current climate and the particular much hyped ‘won’t shed/‘hypoallergenic‘ of poodle crosses, I’m guessing minimum £2K.

You could just drop in a casual I hope you weren’t ripped off too much, cost wise..

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I had a quick peruse of local ads this morning. The cheapest puppies within a 5 mile radius were jrt at £1200 :eek::eek:. Who the diddly heck is paying that for an unregistered jack? There were labs at 3k, various poos at 3-4k, some health tested, some not. Where do people find that kind of money from?

It breaks my heart to think of all the poor animals being bred from at the moment for no good reason than to satisfy their owner's greed and because they have a working womb ?

SAujla

Visit site
My 'rare' breed (less than 30 pups born in the UK each year, tiny litter sizes) wasn't anywhere near these prices either.

Today's doozies:

Merle jack russells £2950
German shepherd x Belgium Milanese [sic] £1200
There is not a single poodle cross at less than £3000
Fully health tested labradors £4000
That is absurd, I paid £1000 for Clover in Febuary this year from fully health tested parents and the sire has a proven track record. I'm obviously biased but no way I believe any puppy is worth 4 times what she was!

Clodagh

Visit site
That was the only comprehensively health tested litter I could see in a 100 mile radius, a random backyard bred labrador of no working merit still appears to be £2000+. ?

Ffee is entire, but not due in season now until October so pups wouldn't be for sale until 2021, might the bubble have burst? (I jest!).

Smitty

Visit site
I never should have had my Patterdale/Lakeland/JRT + heavens knows what else de-maled all those years ago. I could have studded him out at £200 per shot (?) I rekon. It seems the more crosses they have, the more they cost! Even 20 years ago they were considerably cheaper/given away or cost a fiver.

I remember my mother's fury when our in heat Goldie wandered off for a couple of hours and returned looking very dishevelled. She was whipped straight off to the vet for an injection and sent to a tested KC reg with loads of champions in pedegree Retriever on her next heat. These days you would, I imagine, be rubbing your hands in glee at the free covering and hope for the most diverse crossing imaginable.

Anyway, I saw Patterdale x Border terriers on Preloved today for £1,250 which I thought quite reasonable ? but then, and I may have been dreaming, found a litter of JR's I think on Pets4Homes at £450. They can't have done their research .... That would have been quite dear pre-Covid.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Amazing what people will pay for puppies from untitled, unhealth tested parents. We've seen a ton of doodle puppies at work since the shutdown. We're also seeing some labs and goldens. One of the labs did come from a responsible breeder, the owner brought the paperwork.
I paid $1800 for Freddie and, I think, $1300 for Rudy. By the time I flew him out here, went up to Newark to pick him up, etc it came close to $1800 in early 2011. BTW, Newark is the armpit of New Jersey. Totally skip it if you ever get a chance to travel to the New York/New Jersey area of the US.

SAujla

Visit site
Amazing what people will pay for puppies from untitled, unhealth tested parents. We've seen a ton of doodle puppies at work since the shutdown. We're also seeing some labs and goldens. One of the labs did come from a responsible breeder, the owner brought the paperwork.
I paid $1800 for Freddie and, I think, $1300 for Rudy. By the time I flew him out here, went up to Newark to pick him up, etc it came close to $1800 in early 2011. BTW, Newark is the armpit of New Jersey. Totally skip it if you ever get a chance to travel to the New York/New Jersey area of the US.
Isn't Staten Island the armpit? I have heard that Florida is the armpit of America because of the craziness that goes on there!

masajackrussells

Visit site
My 'rare' breed (less than 30 pups born in the UK each year, tiny litter sizes) wasn't anywhere near these prices either.

Today's doozies:

Merle jack russells £2950
German shepherd x Belgium Milanese [sic] £1200
There is not a single poodle cross at less than £3000
Fully health tested labradors £4000
I saw those merle Jacks - nearly cried...