Purdey's first shoot!

Nickijem

Visit site
I took Purdey beating with me today for the first time. I was more than prepared to bring her home if she got too excited or tired or naughty!
But I couldn't be more chuffed with her - she took everything in her stride. I kept her on a lead most of the time but she loved going hunting and she wasn't at all bothered by the guns.

But to top it all - the chap we bought Purdey from was out shooting with Purdey's dad. He shot a partridge then saw me at the end of the beating line and called me over when drive finished. He suggested we let Purdey go and fetch the partridge he had just shot. I wasn't sure as she has never picked up a bird before but I sent her out as if it was a dummy she was fetching.
Bless her little heart, she ran straight out to it then straight back to me and delivered it to my hand!
Then - just to prove it wasn't a fluke - she did the same at the very end of the day on the last drive. Everyone on the shoot was really impressed with her.
I am one very proud mummy!:D:D

A couple of piccies from the day:

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Alec Swan

Visit site
Two retrieves, that's all that young spaniels need, PER DAY!! The young spaniel which is stopped, will be the better dog.

Very well done!! Concentrate on discipline whilst she's hunting. That's what spaniels do best.

A very smart little bitch, by the way. You should be very proud of yourself, and her!!

Alec.

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks both,
It did her the world of good to be on the lead while she was hunting as she needs some steadiness. She has only just begun her 'gun-dog' training as she is only just 10 months.
But yes Alec - discipline is what she needs right now - I wouldn't have dared let her off the lead while we were beating in the wood, she has selective deafness when she is on the scent of any game!

Nickijem

Visit site
I am very proud of her! I think she is still quite tired today though, she's cuddled up with my OH on the sofa just now:)

Scranny_Ann

Visit site
:D:D:D Well done :D:D:D

Lovely first experience for her. You are what i would call the 'sensible' owner! Some spangle owners can get a little over excited and do too much with their dog and wonder why it ends up blowing a gasket!

Keep the updates coming :D and of course pics.

We're out tomorrow. I've got Jake out all day so LOOK OUT PHEASANTS Jake's about :rolleyes::D

mollichop

Visit site
Clever Purdey! She looks very pleased with herself! :)

Sounds like a great introduction - dual purpose pup too! lol

My first day is this Sat, cannot wait!

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks - have a great day tomorrow Scranny-Ann:D and have a great day on Sat Mollicop!:D

I am going to another shoot on Saturday, it is a very small and friendly one - I doubt many birds will be shot but it will be another good outing for Purdey - she will love it :D