Pure neem oil

Nichlill

New User
Visit site
Using Pro equine pure neem oil on my mare for SI. It's amazing stuff but leaves her mane & tail greasy.
I've been advised to leave it on for 15 mins then wash it off. Does anyone else do this?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I always leave it on , the grease is a good deterrent for the midges. Then again the mane and tail are well covered by the sweet itch rug and hood so only need it on the legs and undercarriage.

Leah3horses

Visit site
I use organic pure neem oil ( Amazon, cheap as chips) for everything for my 3...feathers, hooves ( best treatment there is for thrush), sweet itch, cleaning undercarriages, scrapes and bites...I leave it on, and I only bath once a year to preserve their natural waterproofing oils...after a while the oil soaks in and is a great insect repellent.

TPO

Visit site
I use the fly spray from Pro Equine.and I dont wash it off.

My understanding was that neem wasnt a deterrent as such but that it created a film that midgies couldn't bite through?

Leah3horses

Visit site
I use the fly spray from Pro Equine.and I dont wash it off.

My understanding was that neem wasnt a deterrent as such but that it created a film that midgies couldn't bite through?
It's a non toxic deterrent as well as preventing anything from reproducing, as well as a physical barrier. In India, where I lived for a year, Neem has been proven for thousands of years in people plants and animals, as all of these things. There are no parasites to be found on the Neem tree 😉

Reactions: TPO

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It's a non toxic deterrent as well as preventing anything from reproducing, as well as a physical barrier. In India, where I lived for a year, Neem has been proven for thousands of years in people plants and animals, as all of these things. There are no parasites to be found on the Neem tree 😉
It's actually quite a powerful insecticide as well as a deterrent. Not parasites on a neem tree because it is toxic to them. Just don't use it if you or the horse are pregnant/trying to get pregnant.

tda

Visit site
Yes I have used it. Maybe you are putting too much on?

I did once accidentally leave a 500g tub in the feed manger of one of my ponies, she ate the blurdi lot! I think she was expecting at the time!

Fransurrey

Visit site
That was my point 😃. No parasites on the Neem tree because it repels them. No scientific studies have proved Neem is unsafe in pregnancy as none have been done . https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1c5RFNuF5M4mRhUDZyo99a&cshid=1561936548135

There are ample studies to show that neem contains steroids (campesterol, beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol), which are to be treated with caution in cases of pregnancy, whether trying to conceive or already pregnant. Studies in rats have shown that it can induce abortion. Good luck getting ethical approval to study that in humans...