Pus filled Cut?

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok, basically thebig lad has an unhealed cut on his front fetlock, and eventing two weeks ago he sliced through it in a longitudinal way. Since then, it has been open and oozing. It closed up last night, but pussy beneath a thin scab. I've been washing with warm hibiscrub and putting sudocreme on. Now, the long bit had mainly healed up, and im thinking a hot poultice might help the unhealed cut close up without becoming pussy underneath?
Any suggestions?

chipsnham

Visit site
Just be a bit careful with Hibiscrub as it can damage tissue if it is not well diluted (water just slightly pink) although it is good to debride loose or dead skin. You might try using Intrasite gel which actually sucks bacteria into itself and cleans the wound that way, also keeps the wound moist to heal it without a hard scab. I have seen it in chemists sold for human wound dressing. Good luck.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Bandage it up (if poss) with a honey dressing - it's FAB!!
cool.gif
Will clean any muck out, keep it moist, encourage new skin growth and decrease the chance of scarring. Just remember to change the dressing often as the exudate (icky stuff) will dilute the honey quickly and stop it working as well. Good luck!

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
animalintex hot then a cold one to draw out infection keep it clean bandaged until no signs of gunk then a good anti batrerial cream and wound powder on top to keep flys at bay keep clean till heals

you can get anti baterial cream over the counter from vets
and you can buy petherdine which all vets use yo clean any wound

you can get it over the counter in vets

LauraBR

Visit site
I've just been treating a really similar injury in almost the same place!

Ended up ringing the vet as I wasn't happy with how it was healing (warm and puffy)... vet advised me to poultice for 48 hours, gave him a course of oral antibiotics and gave me some aluminium spray to put on afterwards to act as a barrier.

Skhosu

Visit site
thanks for all the good advice!
Decided to try honey last night, and this morning there is a radical change, it's pink and healthy looking rather than red and gunky!
If the original unhealed cut doesn't heal (I suspect that the sliced bit will heal ok) I will poultice!
Hope that made sense. Thanks