Putting a horse down

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think we're reaching a point where we may have to pts my beloved horse soon. Im just trying to get my head around it and was wondering about your experiences.

Ive always thought Id go for th bullet, but now its here, Im not sure. I think Id have to hold her and not sure Id cope with the noise and blood. My husband would hold her, but she hates him, so Id not want her last monents to be with him! (she has no rational reason to hate him, she pretty much hates everyone, just slightly prefers me!). How much would the injection cost? And has anyone burried a horse at home? All my other deceased pets are burried at home..

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
The man with the gun has always wanted to be the one doing the holding himself when I have had mine done. He feeds them treats before the deed and makes sure that they are settled and relaxed with him first.

I have never had one burried as our water table is too high.

little_critter

Visit site
I'm not certain as I've not been there myself, but I think I've seen from other threads on here that the hunt / knackerman / vet won't allow you to hold the horse if being shot (too risky for the handler I would assume).
I'm sorry you have reached this point with your horse.

I had mine PTS by injection at the beginning of the year. I stayed for putting the canula in and the sedation and led her out to the grass, then the vet strongly suggested I don't stay for the actual injection.
I admit I do feel bad that I wasn't with her at the end. The vet said she passed peacefully (but I don't imagine they would say otherwise to be honest).

My vague memory is that the PTS was approx £250 and disposal the same again I think.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
So sorry that you're having to make this decision.
You likely won't be allowed to hold for the bullet as most want to hold the horse themselves so not to risk any accidents.
I've had horses done with both injection and bullet; I would go with a bullet again in the future but it's all personal preference and it personally took me a while to get over the memory of the noise and how quickly it was all over

fankino04

Visit site
I opted for the injection as I wanted to be with her in the end and didn't think I would be able to cope with the bullet, I don't remember the cost as it was so long ago and have no idea regards burying at home as I've always chosen cremation just due to never knowing if current home would be our last and wouldn't want to leave them. Am so sorry your going through this, it's such a horrible thing to arrange x

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’m very sorry that you have reached this stage. Our vets only offer the injection these days, it is quick and humane, but do make sure that the horse is heavily sedated first (which should be standard practice, but reading threads on here shows that it isn’t).

I think that you have wet ground? I doubt that burial at home would be allowed in case of watercourse pollution. Do not stay around afterwards to witness the removal.

Willow1306

Visit site
I did have to hold my horse for the bullet, which was very quick and stress-free. Unpleasant for me for sure, but it was very humane for the horse and I would go that route again if I had to.

Sorry that you're having to face this decision.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’m very sorry that you have reached this stage. Our vets only offer the injection these days, it is quick and humane, but do make sure that the horse is heavily sedated first (which should be standard practice, but reading threads on here shows that it isn’t).
the only injection I've seen go wrong was when a farm vet didn't sedate first.
I nearly said something (not my horse) but didn't want to interfere and I sure as hell regretted that afterwards.

My experience has been that knackerman has wanted to hold the horse himself though I've been nearby feeding treats and the amount of blood varies from not much to lots.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
We used an injection for Ginny. Vet told me to double dose her with domesedan first. I stayed with her while she was basically falling asleep on her feet. When the vet arrived she was so dopey that she did not react at all when the cannula went in. At that point I walked away so I did not see her fall. I very much doubt she will have been aware of me leaving. So her last hour was a bucket of hard feed, loads of polos then slowly dozing off and no awareness of the end. Peaceful with no pain and no fear. I don;t think I could hold a horse for the gun and I would not want to leave them with a stranger while still alert personally but many friends have used our local knackerman and he is apparently very empathic and kind with the horses and it has been humane, quick and stress free for the horse. So whatever you think you;d cope with best yourself. I am so sorry you are in this position.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks everyone. We do have wet ground, so the water table is a consideration, especially with the current weather. Our dogs and cats are all burried in a corner near a footpath, so easily visitsble if we ever move (we've even considered not selling that corner of the field if we move).. I can never bear the thought of them being taken away to be cremated, and I dont want a cask sitting around. Each pet has a tree planted over their grave at the moment. In my head we'd lead her out to the field and put her down there.

Its not certain we're at decision point, but I think we are and am trying to get my head around it.. Thanks for all replies, Im taking it all onboard.

wispagold

Visit site
I had to have my horse PTS in June. She was already at the vets. I was with her for the sedation, until she was no longer really aware what was going on. I then left for the final injection as I didn't want to watch her fall. The vet recommended this as I wouldn't have been able to hold her for that part anyway. I then went back to see her afterwards and say goodbye.

It was obviously very sad but very calm and peaceful for both of us.

turkana

Visit site
Both methods are humane but if you want to hold the horse injection is probaly the way to go. I've been with horses that were shot & I was told to stand behind the shooter, I don't like to see them fall so close my eyes or turn away but make sure I can be seen by the horse so hopefully they get some comfort by my presence.
I never stay for my own horse's removal but do stay for friend's & make sure I stand beside them as they go in.
Unpleasant for you but not at all unpleasant for the horse; it is the last act of love that we do for them

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
I think it cost me around £600 max for my mare to be PTS via injection -that was for out of hours emergency call out and she was sedated as soon as vet arrived before the injection.
I couldn't have coped with the bullet, the sound and seeing it would have been too much.

I stood next to her as the vet injected, within 6 seconds of the vet administering the injection she was on the floor and heart had stopped. Luckily we didn't have any issues.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think we're reaching a point where we may have to pts my beloved horse soon. Im just trying to get my head around it and was wondering about your experiences.

Ive always thought Id go for th bullet, but now its here, Im not sure. I think Id have to hold her and not sure Id cope with the noise and blood. My husband would hold her, but she hates him, so Id not want her last monents to be with him! (she has no rational reason to hate him, she pretty much hates everyone, just slightly prefers me!). How much would the injection cost? And has anyone burried a horse at home? All my other deceased pets are burried at home..

I am sorry that you are having to face this, it's a horrid decision to have to make.

The person with the gun has to hold the horse, with you behind him/her for H&S reasons, although sis had to hold one, recently as she wouldn't stand quietly. The noise is audible bit not loud and there is usually a small amount of blood - we have been able to clear it up enough for the Labs not to fuss with it afterwards (!).

I can recommend Steph Crowther at Yorkshire Equine Crematorium and I am sure that she would come out to you, even though you are just over the border. She is a true horsewoman, professional and understanding with owners. You could have an individual cremation if you prefer and have the ashes back to bury at home.

We have had horses pts by bullet - Hunt and Equine Crem- and by injection when the vet was in attendance anyway, I prefer the bullet because it is instantaneous for the horse, they have always gone with a mouthful of food, knowing absolutely nothing about it. It was £200 for pts and removal last time, about 18 months ago, the last time Steph was here.

The regulations are about how far you are from a water course (10 metres?) but my neighbour buried a pony years ago and said never again - the hole has to be very big, by the time they got the hole sorted, rigor mortis had set in and it was extremely difficult to manoeuvre the pony into the hole.

If you want any more info just PM me.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
The man with the gun has always wanted to be the one doing the holding himself when I have had mine done. He feeds them treats before the deed and makes sure that they are settled and relaxed with him first.

I have never had one burried as our water table is too high.

My local chap holds them with their head in a bucket of feed. He is very calm and gentle (has his own horses and family animals so he knows that it is an emotional moment). I don't think he would like an upset owner to be too close. It was very, very quick.

Asha

Visit site
So very sorry to hear you are facing this.

We had Harry PTS with injection last year, it was very peaceful. The vet sedated him first, I stroked his face as he relaxed. Then she gave him the injection, and he just lay down as if he was taking a nap. I stayed with him, stroking him until he had gone.

I echo what others have said, don't be around for the removal. You can get the cremated on their own, and then bring the ashes back and bury with your others. Take care x

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've had to put down 3 much-loved oldies in the past 12 months - never easy! But our local huntsman is great. I give him a cheque for the fee in advance and then lead horse to a mutually convenient spot, armed with a bowl of nuts. I stand behind and to one side of him (not the horse) and barely look once shot is fired. I walk away and stay out of sight of the scene until he has loaded - he always cleans any blood. Buying is not very practical with a high water table - the entire horse MUST be at least 6 foot deep (no-one could do it with a spade) otherwise they WILL come to the surface. I don't care that horse is fed to hounds - and as two had been hunters, I'm sure they wouldn't either. I have photos and memories of the good times.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
So sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I had my mare PTS in June. I opted for the injection. The vet gave her some sedation and we walked her to the fields, I was allowed to hold her and say goodbye up until he put the final injection in. The vet held her then and my other half wouldn't let me watch her go. As soon as she went the vet explained what he was doing (checking she had gone) and he even gave her a pat and kiss and he left us to say goodbye.

I didn't want to see her put on the transport to the crematorium so I walked up with the vet. Ive heard seeing them taken away isn't pleasant (not that any of it is). Take care of yourself x

HazuraJane

Visit site
When my horse was PTS last year, he went by injection. I did not stay for the final bit. I always say the same thing to my horses when I leave the barn for the day, so I told him to wait for me on the other side, then I said the thing I've always said. He didn't see it coming, which was my hope, and he went down easy according to his trainer.

I am so sorry you're in that position. There is no balm to soothe your heart afterwards, except knowing the amount of joy you shared with your horse will be proportional to the amount of grief.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ive heard seeing them taken away isn't pleasant (not that any of it is). Take care of yourself x
the removal (whether taking away for cremation or moving for burial) is generally just very undignified as a horse is an awkward thing to move. Many owners find comfort from being there at the end as their horse passes away but being there for removal doesn't add anything positive for the owner so there's no point having your last memory spoiled like that.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I am so sorry :(

I had my Horse PTS in November, I had her sedated first and then she had the injection. My vets did ask me if I wanted sedation, so I guess there are people out there that don't opt for that first. It was very very peaceful. I stayed with her til the end, although I did have to turn my back when she fell and that is when the tears started. I then sat on the ground with her til her last breath. I would do this option again, I have been present for one being shot though and I must say the Horse went just as peacefully.

For sedation, PTS and crem with no ashes returned it was around £450.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
the removal (whether taking away for cremation or moving for burial) is generally just very undignified as a horse is an awkward thing to move. Many owners find comfort from being there at the end as their horse passes away but being there for removal doesn't add anything positive for the owner so there's no point having your last memory spoiled like that.

That's what I meant. I have seen the start of one taken away and whilst the people doing it were amazing (and have taken away and cremated both of mine) there was nothing they could do about how moving a large horse onto a box is done.

Britestar

Visit site
I've many done, all by injection. I stay with them right to the end, and the Vet has always left first. I stay with them a while, chatting to them. Then get any horses who I think would want to see them and let them sniff and wait until they are ready to leave.

Mine are all buried at home, and the only thing I would say, is if you decide to do that, have them PTS where you want them buried. Much easier than moving them there afterwards.

Visit site
I would not have one shot without it being sedated first. One at work went wrong - never, ever again! But then injection isn't always easy either if the horse has fight in them. I am kind of the designated person to deal with the horses at work because I can deal with it - it is usually an emergency situation. The 2 that haven't been great - one by bullet, a horse that was owned by a lad on the yard but it was dangerous to ride so he had it pts. After that I would never have one shot without sedation. The other dodgy one was injected because his injury wasn't healing and he fought the drugs to the bitter end. But for the majority the injection is kinder to the human.

The removal is brutal so please don't stay around for it. I've done it because we needed more man power when we couldn't move the horse to a convenient place due to injury before pts and I know I will probably have to do it again but I really hope I dont!

Bs_mum

Visit site
I’ve had horses done by both methods. With planned ones I’ve always gone injection as it’s more peaceful and less distressing for all parties involved. But I think it depends on the circumstances. Bullet isn’t pleasant, however, if quick dispatch is needed it’s the best way. The only 2 times we’ve used the bullet, 1 was on our point to point horse that broke its leg on landing. Complete break, leg was only hanging on by the skin, he was dispatched within 3 minutes of the accident. The other, out hunting was hit by a car (who came around the corner far too fast on the wrong side of the road after loosing control on a previous bend and I couldn’t get her out the way) we where both really injured (I won’t go into graphic detail but she was almost decapitated) but she was gone within a minute, I don’t remember it happening only the terrier man deeply apologising to me afterwards with tears streaming down his face.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sorry you've reached this stage. Horrible times. Mine was done by injection, because I was donating him to the vet school and the vet has to sign a form (mine doesn't offer gun). He was sedated and I held him right until the point of falling, when the vet quickly grabbed his head and guided him down. I did stay for a couple of minutes to say my goodbyes, but went back into the yard whilst he was loaded up. I can't imagine that's ever a dignified event. Just be prepared that if you do stay with her, there'll likely be some reflex kicking of the legs when she goes down, regardless of how it's done.

ETA, cost was about £400, but of course I didn't have cremation costs.

meleeka

Visit site
Re the removal. I watched a friends just out of interest and knowing it wasn’t mine and it wasn’t as bad as I’d imagined. The lorry had a winch and it just slid up the ramp. I don’t think I’d want it as my last memory of my horse though.

Milliechaz

Visit site
Im with Bright star, ive always held mine while they have gone by injection and then after I have sat with them for a while to say my goodbyes I have let my remaining horses so their goodbyes to the body too. That is something I would always recommend as it answers any questions the other horses have as to where they have disappeared to.
I lost one of mine this summer, she was taken to the field to have the injection and the other two remained in their stables so they didn't witness it. They never once called for her after seeing her body and there were a very close knit family of 3 on my own property. Even if one is taken out hacking they call while they are gone. The fact that they don't call at all if they see the body says to me that it is definitely the right thing to do as it helps them process it. We do it with our cats too.