Putting Horses before Education

EventingMad

Visit site
Had a rather upsetting conversation with parents this afternoon about selling Dylan my potential eventer.As i’m at College at the moment having him at him home is not a option as parents work and their is nobody at home to work him during the week. Livery isn't a option and with my work and with the current money climate it is just too expensive, for us at the moment a long with the eventing which is coming next year. So therefore at the moment he is on Working Livery at College.

Which to be honest he doesn't seem to be happy at all his behaviour and stable manners have gone down hill as his flatwork and jumping. It makes me really upset to think he is not happy and being wasted. So now considering a number of WP positions to enable me too keep him and compete him. I did consider being a WP before starting college but decided to do College and get something out of it and obviously put him on the Working Livery. But just now sure it is too a drastic option to put him before my education?

So the only option at the moment is selling which would be heart-breaking decision to make as he is a lovely chap and only horse I have had and produced that has had the potential to event. But then I would know he would be much happier and out competing which is what he is meant to do and enjoys.

Sorry for such a pointless post and rambling so much,but just so stuck as what too do?
frown.gif
crazy.gif
frown.gif

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Had a rather upsetting conversation with parents this afternoon about selling Dylan my potential eventer.As i’m at College at the moment having him at him home is not a option as parents work and their is nobody at home to work him during the week. Livery isn't a option and with my work and with the current money climate it is just too expensive, for us at the moment a long with the eventing which is coming next year. So therefore at the moment he is on Working Livery at College.

Which to be honest he doesn't seem to be happy at all his behaviour and stable manners have gone down hill as his flatwork and jumping. It makes me really upset to think he is not happy and being wasted. So now considering a number of WP positions to enable me too keep him and compete him. I did consider being a WP before starting college but decided to do College and get something out of it and obviously put him on the Working Livery. But just now sure it is too a drastic option to put him before my education?

So the only option at the moment is selling which would be heart-breaking decision to make as he is a lovely chap and only horse I have had and produced that has had the potential to event. But then I would know he would be much happier and out competing which is what he is meant to do and enjoys.

Sorry for such a pointless post and rambling so much,but just so stuck as what too do?
frown.gif
crazy.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the answer you want to hear, but put your education before your horse; the right education will enable you to be able to afford to keep horses, and to compete, in the future.

If you become a WP now the likelihood is that you will be able to afford to keep him, but won't have the time or money to compete and that you have limited your career options
frown.gif

I'm not one of these types who thinks that everyone has to go to university, and that if you don't you're bound to fail, but I do feel that everyone should get the most out of education that they can and give themselves the best chance of securing a job that a) pays the essential bills and b) pays for the luxuries of having a horse to compete.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but I think the sensible option here would be to loan/sell. You will be so disappointed in years ahead if leaving education now means not being able to do what you want to do for the rest of your life; the sacrifice now will seem much smaller when you consider the future.

amage

Visit site
Please think very carefully about dropping out of college for the sake of one horse...if you were hating college and really felt it was the wrong thing for you it would be a different story. would putting him on loan be an option. selling may be the more sensible decision...horrible but better for you long term

LCobby

Visit site
What is the best outcome from College if you stay?
A degree, BSc, MSc, ? What subject? BHSII?
Something you could not get as a working pupil?

Donlt give up on degree level as that can open the door to jibs which would allow you to keep a horse and compete in future.
What about putting him on loan for a year?

Lulup

Visit site
I agree that it depends on the level of your course at college - if you are intending to work within the horse industry then lot of employers prefer experience gained 'on the job' rather than at college so a WP position with a reputable professional is likely to boost your cv as much, if not more than a college gained qualification anyway. If however your course is degree level and you are really enjoying it then selling is probably the best option as loaning out for the rest of your degree is probably 2 -3 years I'm guessing meaning that he'll be a different horse by the time you get him back anyway.. decisions like this are always hard
confused.gif
so take your time and check out all your options. Good Luck x

druid

Visit site
Don't do it, loan him or sell him. You & your future are more important than what is in reality just a hobby

cheekycharley

Visit site
Personally i couldnt have sold me horse... I lived at home as this was the only way i could really keep her - is this an option?

What course are you doing/are you enjoying uni? Im in my fourth year and i dont actually think a degree is everything - just my view though.

CVSHotShot

Visit site
I put my boys before my education and everying fell into place for me.

Sounds REALLY cheesy but follow your heart, if thats what its telling you to do, do it! Everything happens for a reason!
grin.gif
lol

xx

TPO

Visit site
Is loaning him an option?

What are you doing at college? I think someone already said about if it's equine related a lot of employers prefer practical experience.

If it's a degree do you have a job in mind when you qualify? I'm on a course for a year and it's full of folk with Equine Degrees that haven't been able to find work - apart from WP placements- and so are having to retrain. Is there a job out there that you want and are working towards now?

Another way to think about it is where do you want to be in 5yrs, then work out what you need to do to get there and make a plan from there.

I never went to uni, didn't appeal to me at all, and apart from having horses I had no aims or goals. I'm earning more than 90% of my friends that went to uni (the other 10% were uber intelligent and off doing stuff I can't spell!), I have job security and 3 horses. When my friends finished uni at 22 they struggled to find work whereas I was earning more than them and had more seniority. A few applied for graduate programmes at my work (worked for a life assurance company at the time) and didn't make it, whereas I left school half way through my final year, ended up at the financial company and was accepted onto the graduate programme at 18. Uni isn't the only way, is just depends on what you want to do.

I never wanted to work in an office but it pays the bills and I guess that's why we work.

I'm currently training in McTimoney-Corely, I might try to make it into a business or I might just be content having a greater knowledge and being able to help my horses. Time will tell, there is just more and more thing available these days. It's never too late to retrain or look into other options. One of my friends was a WP and working with horses and when she decided to change careers she had no problem due to her work ethic and life experience.

I'm 25 and there are people on my course from 22 to 40+ from just qualified students, vets, physios, chiros and then random odd bods like me
tongue.gif

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you want to X there may be other alternatives than having to sell your horse and stay at college if you don't want to.

PS - are you enjoying your course? Is having to sell the horse perhaps an excuse for leaving college?

Good luck whatever you decide. It's not easy and there is a huge amount of pressure to know what you want to do at a young age. I still don't know
confused.gif

actionbarbie

Visit site
similar situation when I couldn't ride my mare for a year due to severe illness- two loan homes later ( one good, one not so good) and then poor horsey parents looked after her-

if I was in such a siutation again I wouldturn horse away for a year, or find a suitable loan home.

good luck!

Llanali

Visit site

I sold my horse to go to university. I deeply, deeply regret doing it, and miss her every day, but I know it was the right thing. I couldn't have loaned her- I'd be terrified of what I might get back, adn even if the loan home was excellent, the horse that returned to me would not be the same as the one I left. Unfortunately, knowing you did the right thing both y yourself and by your animal, doesn't make it any easier.

I want a good job, I want a family, and I want horses. But I want to enjoy my horses, and compete, and I'm afraid in reality very few people get to work with horses and have the money or time to enjoy their own.

Personally, if you wanted my opinion, I'd say sell the horse. It's hell, and you'll probably wish you hadn't sometimes, but if you're anything like me, at 3 am when I'm crying my eyes out over her (yes,m I know, it's been 15 months and 18 days.....) I know that I did the right thing, for both of us.

Good luck, with whatever you decide, and if you do sell and want some moral support, do feel free to PM!

punk

Visit site
When I was young (many many years ago now!!!) my non horsey parents were dead against me doing horses as a career. I dreamt of getting to Badminton one day, and struggled on with horse and college - eventually bowing to pressure and selling.

Lots of the time I regret it as I still live the dream in my mind.

I have three daughters - eldest two rode to one star level before going to Uni - and then (their choice) gave up.

The third is like me, and at 15 and 16 has ridden twice at JRN Champs, and is registered for Juniors - all on a 14.2 pony.

Thing is - do we buy another horse for the rest of this year (still at school) and her gap year! Father thinks not, but I love doing it with and for her!!

What is your horse like?!!! Perhaps we could come to a deal!!!!!!!!

sachak

www.pinkequine.com
i did my a levels and spent the summer working on a pro showjumping yard. then i went to college keeping my rides (i rode for owners at the time) and working on the ayrd when i could i left college now havea full time career but i still have my horses and having recently secured sponsorship and also some half decent horses things equestrian wise are on the up - dont neglect your education and i'll say it bloody diffucult but if you want it enough there is a way!