Putting in water supply to fields from existing tap?

kit279

Visit site
Just moved into new house and yard and there is water connected to the stable block but currently it isn't connected to the fields. Would ideally like to lay some water pipes but would like to run along the fences above ground if possible - happy to do it myself but also happy to pay someone if I can find a contracter (North Oxfordshire/Bucks). Does anyone have any experience of this? I could lag the pipes althugh think it might be a fair bit of work. Any advice?

Auslander

Visit site
I'd say, from bitter experiece, that even lagged, it will freeze in the winter if its above ground. Maybe worth having a semi-permanent hosepipe set-up, that you can take down and store somewhere in freezing weather.

JillA

Visit site
I had mine put underground and it didn't break the bank - used a local contractor with a JCB with a narrow bucket. You could see if you can find someone with a mole plough, that would do but you wouldn't be able to get at the bottom of the fences that way. I do know someone who laid them on top of the ground and she is always having to carry water to her fields in winter, I wouldn't entertain it for the relatively low cost of putting them under.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a cheap option:
Hosepipe on cuphooks under the bottom rail of the P&R fencing.
Pipe has joining clips at 3 different places, meaning it can be snapped together, or broken apart to fill various movable tanks in each paddock right up to the top summer fields (not used when icy/muddy as too inconvenient for me to be bothered to walk in the dark etc)
Finally:I have 1 good length of hosepipe in the yard that reaches the 3 paddocks which are all gated on to the yard - these are the paddocks I use in the depths of winter.

Cheap & easy for me to do & the most recent piece was replaced over 5 years ago when the old bit expired in more than 2 places.

OrangePepper

Visit site
I would use some 20mm or 25mm diameter blue plastic Poly pipe (obtained from builder and plumbing merchants)
You can purchase plastic connectors taps etc at the same time.
Use plastic rather than metal water troughs as if the horse kicks metal water troughs they can fracture a leg.
Paxton make a good range of plastic water troughs.
Idealy if you mole drill them under ground they will not freeze as much. All this involves is drilling a 3 foot hole at each end and finding a contractor with a mole dril. The mole drill is pulled through the soil first without the pipe and then the pipe is tied to the mole drill and is pulled through the soil. Then run tractor over the mond - job done.