Putting mare in foal

What is the oldest that you would put a mare, that has never had a foal before, in foal? At what point would you consider the risks to have increased to much?

And would you put a 15.1hh mare to a 16.2hh stallion for her first foal?

MillionDollar

Visit site
My 2 mares are both maiden mares at 14 and 15, both are 13.2 and in-foal to a 16hh stallion.

I wouldn't see a problem with putting a 15.1 in-foal to a 16.2.

I think most breeders say 15 is the latest but you do get a lot of older mares. I've known a maiden mare have a foal at 18.

Thanks for that!!
I'm thinking of breeding from her when she is 14 so that should be ok - obviously will be speaking to my vet nearer the time but just wanted some opinions! She's only 10 at the moment so I could breed earlier but I will retire her when she has foal so want to leave it as late as possible without increasing the risks of breeding!!!

Kermie

Visit site
I would have a vet check done on any mare before putting her in foal for the first time, but particularly for an older mare to ensure everything is in the right place.
wink.gif

I've heard of far too many dead foals/mares to even consider putting a mare to anything more than 4" bigger than she is. I know there is a school of thought that the mare dictates the size of the foal, but I have heard enough stories firsthand from breeders to make me err on the side of caution.

On a personal note, I witnessed a 13hh mare giving birth to a very large foal on a yard a few years ago - the foal was already dead and the mare was very, very stressed and was lucky to survive. The mating had been a mistake (before pony had been bought) and vet reckoned the stallion would have been around 16hh.

Yes, she would have full check over.
She is my pet and I think the world of her so I will be doing everything on the cautious side - if something happened to her that could have been prevented I would never forgive myself.
I am unsure whether to breed from this particular mare as I have been around a fair bit of breeding so although 90% of the time it goes well, i have seen the bad side and this horse is my pet not just a normal brood mare (and they have all been bred from quite young so that is why 14yrs is unknown teritory to me).