putting rugs on for the first time

Sparklet

Visit site
Take your time.

Fold the rug in half and slowly slip it over the shoulders - only if the horse is settled unfold the rug so that it is over its back.

When the horse accepts the rug then start to do it up.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
ditto sparklet. I would also walk him round for a while and graze him in hand so that he can get used to the feeling of the straps. Sometimes letting them straight out can panic them, depending on the horse of course, and they will run around trying to get it off, sometimes leading to damage through the straps getting caught.
hope this helps
Dawn

Ginn

Visit site
When I rugged Till's for the first time last year I used a soft summer sheet (that I didn't mind her wrecking either!). Fold it up to about the size of a pillow and let the horse get use to it, then oppen it up a little more until its only folded in half and lie it across the horses back, then slowly open it up and fasten. Offer lots of praise, maybe a bucket of feed as a distraction and most of all stay calm and relaxed as if its no big deal. I then let Till's out in the field so she could explode if she wanted to but she was happy to graze! It took about 2 months until she was 100% happy with me throwing her turnout on but now you could throw a sheet of tarpulin over her back and I doubt she'd bat an eyelid!
smirk.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
When i was about 11 and mum had bought an unbroken/untouched horse back from Exeter Meat market.. it was a real dobbin, and i didn't realise the difference between an untouched 4yr old, and my PC pony!!
blush.gif
haha... i wanted to play with this horse, and after brushing it, decided it needed a rug on.. so threw said rug straight on, like i would with my pony!! Horse stood stock still.... and remained in said position for a further 10mins till mum came out and realised what i'd done haha!!

*no horses were upset in the telling of this story.. and i suggest you put rug on as said above, and not my way*
wink.gif

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Ditto Sparklet

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Masta Lightweight Turnout Rugs and Masta Neck Covers, all new and all desparate for new homes! All clearence and all stupidly cheap! £38 per rug incl p&p, £15 per neck cover incl p&p. PM me for details, most sizes available

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
ditto -- its easier if you have another to hold the horse
get quite close to the schoulder as horse moves you move when the timing right gentle slip it uponto the withers and hold till horse is used to it-- once there then unfold it do the chest up first tehn middle and then back -- and then leave a head collar on the horse with a bit of bailing twine about 3inces so when you come to get him its easier-- if you can grab hold of something quick-- bring in and out as often as you can and take rug on and off-- first time on he might rear - so no lead rein its to short-- have a lunge line
and get a freind to hold him a good firend one that wont let go,
once the rug is on then he will get used to it , then when you bring him in to tale off undo back legs first always clip them up
so when you re dress the horse in the rug it isnt going to get hurt or fly off the wall by leg straps donking him one...

it will take about a week on and off beofre they accept as red and norm of things

MagicMelon

Visit site
I put the horse in the stable tied up. I usually put on an exercise sheet first and then carry on grooming as normal (they don't usually notice!), then I'll carefully fold on a lightweight rug and just watch them for a bit to see what they think. If they're ok then I unclip them and leave them with it on in the stable for an hour or so. Usually this is all it takes, then I let them out into the field again as normal. Ive never had a problem.

Nari

Visit site
Everyone is right about folding rugs up, letting them look at them etc.

Having said that that's just what I did with Jim when I introduced him to rugs as a youngster & it took ages (if memory serves me nearly a week of quietly doing the same thing every day) before he was relaxed about having one put over him, never mind the straps being done up. He didn't quite break the stable when I first asked him to move in one! He's now very good though, once he realised rugs kept him warm & dry he became very very fond of them
smile.gif
. My current youngster is a very different temperament & had watched with interest as Jim had rugs on & off. When I decided to try him with one he couldn't even be bothered to sniff it, kept munching his haynet when I put it on & did up the straps & was totally unimpressed when I made him walk round the box - couldn't see why he should leave the haynet I expect! The next day was wet & windy so I turned him out in a rainsheet & he had that on like he'd been wearing rugs for years yet I know he'd never had one on before I bought him.

How much of that was down to a naturally confident temperament & how much was watching a horse that is relaxed about being rugged I don't know but it might be worth letting him see other horses being rugged up - at the very least there's no harm in it!