putting rugs on wet horses?

lennysmith

Visit site
Went down to Josie this mornign and she was a bit chilly. Just looked at weather forcast for this eve and it's going to be even colder tonight, so decided I'll be putting her lw turnout on.

However, it's just started to chuck it down. She's going to be soaked, and as she currently has to live out I cant bring her in to dry her off. So is it ok to put rugs on wet horses or a bad idea?

I've never had a horse live out before, always out in the day in at night, so it's never eally been an issue. Sorry if I sound thick xxx

sojeph

Visit site
I wouldn't!
This is why mine don't wear rugs as a rule. They live out 24/7 and at this time of year it's impossible to know whether or not they need them on.
One way I suppose would be to thatch her and hope it all falls out overnight!! May get a bit itchy tho!!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
You read my mind SN
smile.gif

S_N

Visit site
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Thatching her is a good idea - infact, I'd probably do both! Thatch under a wicking rug under a TO....... Awaits shooting

Tia

Visit site
That's exactly what I would have said too. I have had to do this a number of times and it works well. I always zip out later though to pull out all the straw.

severnmiles

Visit site
Now I don't understand this...people say 'never put a rug on a wet horse'. You go and work at an event yard or a p2p yard or a hunting one e.t.c. Horse gets washed off, scraped down, fleece on and about 3 stable rugs. I know the fleece is underneath but thats still putting a rug on a wet horse.

If it was me I'd do what SN said.

fjudge

Visit site
I was always a bit cautious about putting a rug on a wet horse, but since my old horse went to my instructors yard for a few months last winter, they always did it, and just put a cooler or a similar sort of rug on underneath the other rugs! It cant harm them if profesional yards, etc... do it....well, thats my theory anyways! x

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Perhaps the difference is between a 'wet, clean horse' and a 'wet, potentially dirty horse'? Putting a rug on a wet horse thats been out in the field would worry me towards rainscald. Warm, damp dirty horse = bacterial heaven.

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the difference is between a 'wet, clean horse' and a 'wet, potentially dirty horse'? Putting a rug on a wet horse thats been out in the field would worry me towards rainscald. Warm, damp dirty horse = bacterial heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - plus rubbing. I certainly wouldn't want to walk about in a wet jumper all night.
I would rather my horses be bit chilly rather than chilly and uncomfortable.
also - the horse can dry out overnight if it doesn't rain but with a wet rug on doesn't stand a chance.

lennysmith

Visit site
Mmm thats what I thought Sojeph. Although I guess I could put a wicking rug underneath. I'll go see her and decide. If she's not too cold then I might leave her tonight.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Depends if the turnout rug is breathable or not. If she is wet and you put the wicking rug underneath you are just going to trap the moisture between the two rugs and end up with a soggy turnout.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello I had this problem last year when mine lived out for the first time. I did put rugs on soaked horses on occasion and went back up to change them later and found they were bone dry underneath. However i have reasonable quality rugs (rhino wugs ) which are breathable and i think this is why they dry without the horses getting chilled.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have put turnouts on wet horses before - as Frankie says if they are decent quality they should breathe. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but they always dry underneath pretty quickly.

filly190

Visit site
Rambo rugs deal with it, they breath, I use them all the time on my wet horses and within the hour horse and rug are dry.

KatB

Visit site
I dont make a habit out of it, but have done it with my wugs, and just made sure the horse feels warm before leaving them. Then go and check later to make swaps if necessary, but never actuallyhave had to. Short term I will put a fleece on first, then a t/o, and remove the fleece later. Will only do this because I know I have breathable rugs. Wet rugs will also dry quickly ona ahorses back, so aslong as the horse is kept warm, i dont really see a prob.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I do. Although only I use only modern type rugs which are breathable etc. If they're proper wet then I scrape off as much of it as possible then put on a cooler underneath the turnout one. A few hours later, I take off the cooler. The rugs are usually totally dry underneath so I dont think its a problem. Id rather they were a little damp underneath but warm rather than freezing cold without one.

Its such a pest because you have to look at the weather before you go anywhere or else you come back to a wet horse and your a little screwed! That's why I run out to put their rugs on if it even begins spitting!