Putting tongue over bit...

truffles

Visit site
Chloe had the vet today...given the all clear ( SO chuffed, because if she wasn't sound then I was going to send her back - don't want a lame horse, and neither do parents!) Also after checking whether she was sound off the bute (YAY she was) asked him to have a lookie at her mouth - she was wrinkling one side a bit funny - looked like a lopside grin! He popped a gag (Is is called that??) in her mouth rasped her teeth which were okay, but found that she has been putting her tongue over the bit - I have noticed she was not comfortable out hacking, but having seen a horse with it's tongue over the bit, Chloe did not behave that badly (I don't blame the horse who did!)

I stupidly took off the fulmer keepers...
blush.gif
Feel a bit awful now, but wanted to see if it improved steering or not...

Soo vet wants me to change her bit to one with a ported mouthpiece...

Any suggestions? She is in full cheek snaffle atm, don't really want to change it to anything much different, just something with a ported mouthpiece or the tongue guards...

Thanks - need to get bit asap as been instructed to only hack her next week.

truffles

Visit site
Oooh thanks - I will have a lookie for an actual bit first, as I would be terrified that it come off in her mouth or something!

truffles

Visit site
eww that's slightly gross! I hope the ladies didn't wear them again...! My ladies tights are staying with me!!!!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Ha ha that was the funny bit- One the horses didnt have one so they asked the lady owner if they could have her tighs!!! But he won so some thing to be said about sharing your tighs with your horse!!

LauraBR

Visit site
You might find she is more comfy now her teeth have been seen to.

My boy was the same when I first got him. Had his teeth done which helped a lot but also had to play about with lots of bits to find one he was happy in. Bit of a long drawn out process but worth it in the end.

truffles

Visit site
Yep, I'll try her in her bit tomorrow with the fulmer keepers and see how she goes!
I have been borrowing a couple of bits from liveries, and hope to "test drive them" instead of buying hundreds and only one being the right bit for that horse!
Glad your boy is good - how are you both getting on btw?
smile.gif
xx

LauraBR

Visit site
Yes, better to borrow!!!! Ebay is good too if you can pick them up cheap and stick them back on...

My boy is doing really well thank you, really enjoying him
grin.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, better to borrow!!!! Ebay is good too if you can pick them up cheap and stick them back on...

My boy is doing really well thank you, really enjoying him
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent - I'm glad you are enjoying him! Hopefully I will be able to actually start riding Chloe properly now!
laugh.gif

jinglejoys

Visit site
My little driving mule Blue used to put her tongue over the bit.I didn't mind ,she didn't mind and everything was hunky dirrie till I got the help of "them wot does it proper" and things went rapidly downhill.
Several ports of various sizes,flash nosebands (one well know carriage driver even added a bandage to clamp her mouth shut),and some runnaways later and I stopped driving her altogether.
Ten years later I got a Saddlechariot,a bitless blinkerless bridle and she's a differant animal altogether!No one can complain about her tongue being over the bit 'cos she doesn't wear one!
grin.gif

Bms.jpg