Putting your horse on part loan

SNORKEY

Visit site
Hi, I've advertised my boy for part loan as I'm pregnant. I've got a lady coming to see him Saturday who sounds very nice, and used to be a riding instructor.
What sort of things should I ask her or do? And should a written agreement be made for part loan whilst he's still being kept on my yard?
I've asked £100 a month for him to be ridden 3 times a week, I have a bit of off road riding and a schooling area with jumps in the field. Is this too much to ask?

woody2211

Visit site
oooh i cant say that i can help with this but i am also pregnant and im looking for the same thing. :)
so i will be very interested in the replies.

just out of interest where did if at all did you advertise for a sharer/part loan?

and how popular would you say it was?

congratulations by the way :)

natalie

orangetails

New User
www.handpaintedmagic.co.uk
My sharer pays the same - £100/month for three days a week (usually 2 weekdays, one weekend day, sometimes she does three weekdays) We have a floodlit school, a jumping paddock, not the best hacking but I have a lorry and so ocassionally she boxes out to better hacking with me and my other horse - I have also taken her to clinics/lessons and hopefully this summer she'll do some shows. She can treat my mare as her own on her days - altho I have another horse at the yard I try to not be around all the time on her days, but we cross paths fairly regularly to catch up. It works well for me as it means I can afford a second horse (who is a lot easier than my other mare!!) and it works for her as she has just bought a house so isn't in a position to have her own horse again for a couple of years. I'm on DIY livery so I cover most of the chores - I don't expect her to come up twice a day for example - but on her days she would muck out (when they were in) and/or poo-pick the field.

I would make sure the lady is comfortable with your horse, and you/your horse with her. Make sure she does everything she would be doing with him while you're not there - so possibly you might want her to come and try him a few times before agreeing to proceed. Definitely have a written agreement, even if it's just fairly brief - but I think it's important to clarify terms/use for both of you, so the cost and days she will have use of him. Any 'hidden' costs - will the £100 be a flat rate (mine is) or will you expect contribution to shoes/vets fees etc? Put anything in the agreement that is important to you, so there's no misunderstandings later. For example whether the horse should only be hacked in company, or you might want to specifiy hi-viz must be worn if going out on the road, or that no one else is to ride your horse without your permission. Will she be allowed to have lessons, take him to shows etc.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Thanks, I work for the police so advertised him on our free ads internal website. I was going to put him on nfed as well though. I'm happy for her to ride him what ever days she likes. I'd like to ask her to muck him out in the winter on her days and poo pick in the summer, but I don't want to come across as being cheeky and asking her to work and pay £100 a month.
I didn't think about rules such as wearing reflective gear or letting other people ride him, so thanks for that.
Also do I need to change my insurance? Will it go up?

woody2211

Visit site
Thanks, I work for the police so advertised him on our free ads internal website. I was going to put him on nfed as well though. I'm happy for her to ride him what ever days she likes. I'd like to ask her to muck him out in the winter on her days and poo pick in the summer, but I don't want to come across as being cheeky and asking her to work and pay £100 a month.
I didn't think about rules such as wearing reflective gear or letting other people ride him, so thanks for that.
Also do I need to change my insurance? Will it go up?

how strange im in the police aswell in tvp!
my current sharer (who i was recommended hense why i dont know where to look now she is getting her own horse.) has her own rider insurance so she is covered on my horse when i spoke with my insurance they said that this was fine and mine was then not affected. and in our contract its written that she wears reflective gear when out.
i also put in the contract that if there is something wrong with horse then unless life threating or clearly serious and cant wait to contact me first and then i can make a decision to call vet ect to stop any un wanted or necessary vets bills :)

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
I would definitey draw up a contract, stating what you expect from her with regards to caring for your horse, and def put in about wearing hi - viz when out hacking, I would also ask her to get herself some insurance, I have a sharer for one of mine and was horrified when one day she was going out without hi-viz on, so it should be mentioned at the outset, if you look on the bhs website you can get a copy of a loan agreement and just tweak it to your own requirements.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Woody2211, I work for Hampshire! Have you got a free ads site on your intranet? The lady coming to see my boy is a sergeant and so's her hubby who also rides, so I know I can trust her. Fingers crossed they get on, my boys getting used to not working and thinks I've retired him!

woody2211

Visit site
Haha excellent it will be a shock to his system. :) yeah I have spoken to the supers PA and she is sending an all user email out for me :) there are heaps of coppers that want to ride I just have to find them! :)