Puzzled by hosepipe ban in Pembrokeshire

Finlib

Visit site
A hosepipe ban is coming into force in Pembrokeshire which is puzzling We cut 90 large bales some hay and some hayledge in early June and we wil be cutting a second cut next week of about the same. Slightly up on a normal year plus we don't always get a second cut.Our fields ( and lawns) are really green and we are mowing the lawn evey week. Yet there is a hosepipe ban Odd!
We have a private water supply to the house and fields so it won't actually affect us but it does seem odd

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My lawns are beautifully green, despite barely any rain for weeks. However the moisture content of the ground is practically zero. Our rivers are low as are reservoirs.

We too in Ceredigion have had excellent yields of hay etc. But if reservoirs are running low, with no sign of significant rain on the horizon then of course councils will start to impose bans.

I’m expecting a ban to be put in place any day now in my Welsh county. However, like you we have a private water supply.

ponynutz

Visit site
This has been a very dry summer and hot to boot - I'm honestly not surprised. We've been saved by living on the coast, as I'm sure you have, so always get the rain but even then it didn't rain here at all through July and hasn't since 2 weeks ago. Also not surprised council's are stepping in - it won't be forever, autumn's here soon.

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Its not happening until August 19th at 8am.All areas will have bans so it will soon pass and rain will come.Just get on with it.

phizz4

Visit site
I think they pipe water all over at times of different geographical need. So even if you have had rain, it will likely be piped to somewhere who hasn't.
Unfortunately, they don't. We don't have a national grid of water pipes like gas and electricity, so places with an excess (Scotland) can't easily send spare to other areas. One year, when there was a shortage in the North East of England they sent hundreds of water tankers by road from Kielder Water. Birmingham does get it's water from mid Wales but there are no pipelines to supply the drought hit South and South East. I despair of our water companies (and their record on contamination events).

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Unfortunately, they don't. We don't have a national grid of water pipes like gas and electricity, so places with an excess (Scotland) can't easily send spare to other areas. One year, when there was a shortage in the North East of England they sent hundreds of water tankers by road from Kielder Water. Birmingham does get it's water from mid Wales but there are no pipelines to supply the drought hit South and South East. I despair of our water companies (and their record on contamination events).

I stand corrected. I was thinking that as we had awful water at one time, the water company told us it had been piped in from the next county who had a different quality of water. It tasted metallic. Obviously still safe and within limits, but our whole village just about had contacted them as the taste was in stark contrast.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
might they have brought it in tankers? there was a problem with the pumping station locally a while back and the water co brought tankers day and night to pipe into the mains so there were no supply interruptions.