QQ: When you put rugs up for sale do you...

HeresHoping

Visit site
... think it's essential that they are washed first? As in before you stick them on FB or wherever?

Just a pondering. Hypothetically, if I had a rug up for £10, and I sent it to be washed (at a cost of £7), the rug's technical value would be £3 and it's not really worth me getting it washed, is it? Or should I sell the rug for £17?

On the other hand, I've just been looking at a load that are absolutely minging and I was wondering if it was just me that was put off.

ihatework

Visit site
... think it's essential that they are washed first? As in before you stick them on FB or wherever?

Just a pondering. Hypothetically, if I had a rug up for £10, and I sent it to be washed (at a cost of £7), the rug's technical value would be £3 and it's not really worth me getting it washed, is it? Or should I sell the rug for £17?

On the other hand, I've just been looking at a load that are absolutely minging and I was wondering if it was just me that was put off.

TBH I don't think there is much of a market for cheaper secondhand rugs, especially when you can pick them up brand new for reasonable price. Rambo/Bucas types definitely worth pro cleaning and selling bagged up

HeresHoping

Visit site
I have two Rambo rugs, they've been used twice each since last cleaned. I was doing some research on where to put them up for grabs as they don't fit the 'oss and was utterly shocked by the state of rugs people put up for sale. Mine are being washed and reproofed before going up, I assure you.

Last edited:

DD

Visit site
nope. a clean off with the hose pipe and that's it. if they are professionally cleaned then I would add the cost to the price of the rug

WelshD

Visit site
I sell a lot of rugs, anything that can be whizzed in my domestic washing machine gets washed, everything else is sold dirty (though I do use bodysuits/sheets under rugs)

People then have the choice whether to have them cleaned, hose them down or use them dirty depending on their own feelings about it

If you have the rug cleaned and add that to the cost then you are ruling out a lot of buyers

If presented with the right type of pictures they sell surprisingly well especially if they are good brands AND if sold at the right time of year (that can make a massive difference)

I've just sold a good stable rug clean but absolutely plastered in loose hairs for £33 (was a £100 rug new) and it was snapped up even though you could buy a new rug of a different brand for less

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I never sell rugs. If they're in good condition I keep them as you never know when they will be needed. I wash stable rugs regularly (around once a week). Turnout rugs get hosed down on the outside regularly. I used to wash them every few weeks but ruined the waterproofing on several of them even with nik wax. I wouldn't buy a second hand rug as there are so many bargains around at the end of the season. I tend to snap up good quality rugs at the end of the winter and keep them until the following winter. I find that even good brands of 1200 denier plus can be picked up for under £50. Hypothetically, if I were to sell a rug I just couldn't sell it dirty.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've sold a lot of rugs on eBay. All top end brands, washed prior to advertising. They've all made good money.

MissTyc

Visit site
Good rugs = washed and sold for good prices.

Old/cheaper rugs = sold muddy and hairy for very cheap. Never had a problem shifting second hand rugs; they get snapped up very quickly.

Flyermc

Visit site
I have two Rambo rugs, they've been used twice each since last cleaned. I was doing some research on where to put them up for grabs as they don't fit the 'oss and was utterly shocked by the state of rugs people put up for sale. Mine are being washed and reproofed before going up, I assure you.

ohhhh what size are they

Abi90

Visit site
I sold one recently for £10. It was in good condition. It didn't fit my new horse. It wasn't washed and the price reflected that, it would have been £17 if it was clean!

Myloubylou

Visit site
I've only ever sold turnout rugs to other people on my yard & never cleaned them but then they know my horse doesn't have skin issues. Don't think a lot of people care if they are dirty as long as they are cheap. I think dirty turnout is more acceptable than a dirty stable rug.

SEL

Visit site
I'm a bit of a rug hoarder so tend to stash away 'just in case' instead of sell, but there are some on selling sites near me that look like they've just been hauled out of the mud. Personal pride wouldn't let me sell those without a bit of a clean up!