Qualifications and career paths

tashcat

Visit site
Hi,

Sorry I know this question is overdone, but I can't work it out from BHS website so I'm turning to you guys!

I'm about to take a year or two off a 'proper' job and will be working full time based at an event rider's yard. I currently have no horsey qualifications (apart from pony club C test if that counts!!), and I'm wondering if I should try get some at the same time? It seems I can either work towards groom or instructor qualifications, but I can't find anything anywhere suggesting I can do at a private competition yard rather than a college like Wellington. Does anyone understand the process and costs of this, and could point me in the right direction?

I have a degree and will likely turn back towards something boring and non-horsey in London in a year or two, but ultimately would prefer to work with horses (if only there was money in them!!), so I'm thinking it might be nice to start achieving some qualifications if I do ever decide to turn back to horses in the future. Or perhaps I'll move towards something management based in the equine industry so would be nice to have some official horsey foundations.. its all very up in the air!

Any advice etc is really welcomed! :)

teddypops

Visit site
You can do the BHS stages without going to college. It’s years since I did mine, so I don’t have any up to date info, sorry. You can find the exam syllabus on the BHS website somewhere.

tashcat

Visit site
You can do the BHS stages without going to college. It’s years since I did mine, so I don’t have any up to date info, sorry. You can find the exam syllabus on the BHS website somewhere.

Thank you! What level did you go up to/ would you say is worthwhile doing? And when you say you did yours, do you mean you did groom or instructor? I'm not sure which makes more sense to do!

teddypops

Visit site
Thank you! What level did you go up to/ would you say is worthwhile doing? And when you say you did yours, do you mean you did groom or instructor? I'm not sure which makes more sense to do!
I just did stages 1 - 3 but I think it has all changed now. It probably is worth doing because when you go for jobs it’s a recognised qualification rather than trying to explain your abilities and experience.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
A different take, but have you thought how having a career gap will look on your CV? Something to consider as it is more acceptable in some areas than others.

ruth83

Visit site
Stage 1 and 2 care are essential regardless of whether you want to do the groom side or the instructor side. If you want to do the instructor side, you need to do the riding sections of these too. From there on you can also choose to do coaching qualifications, alongside further ride and care qualifications.

Anyone can train anywhere for the assessments. However from Stage 2 onwards it is now compulsory to be signed off on certain pre assessment requirements and as 'ready for assessment'. This must be signed off by a BHS Accredited Coach at least 1 level above the one you are entering for (I.E. A Stage 3 coach - old BHSAI - can sign off for Stage 2, but it must be a Stage 4 - BHSII - for Stage 3).

To be recognised as an Accredited Professional Coach, you will need to complete
Ride Safe
Stage 1 Care and Ride
Stage 2 Care, Ride and Teach
Stage 3 Care, Ride and Teach
First Aid course
Safeguarding course
DBS check
Yearly CPD

teapot

Visit site
The stage exams are more than do-able when working in the industry, rather than just going through the training system at ridiculous prices such as Talland and Wellington. That said Welly is a lovely place to train at! As long as you've got someone to sign you off who's a level above the exam you're taking, it doesn't matter whether you're working in a private yard, or stacking shelves at Tescos. You have to be signed for aspects of care and ride from Stage 1 onwards (not Stage 2 as Ruth mentioned and even for your 1, it has to be a Stage 3 coach), lunge from Stage 2 as well. You have to take the new Ride Safe exam to be awarded the full Stage 1 ride award too. It's replaced the old riding and road safety exam.

Ruth83's post sums it up in a nutshell if you want to acheive the old AI as it was. I work in the equine training industry, as management, so any info you need please do pm me. I've just done my Stage 3 Ride - Dressage (off my own back and at my own expense too, I rarely actually touch a horse in my job!) and aiming for the rest of my Stage 3 in the Autumn. Did my Stage 2 last Autumn so I know the new pathways, systems and exam set up quite well!

Last edited:

tashcat

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies!

FlyingCircus - thats a good point! But something I've thought about a lot and have concluded that getting some official qualifications while I'm doing it will help show its not a gap, but an alternative experience/ employment.

Thank you Ruth83 for explaining all that! Makes much more sense :)

Teapot - I'll be sure to send you a dm if you don't mind, that sounds great, thank you!!

superpony

Visit site
I have completed my exams around my full time job (School Teacher) as others have said you now need to be signed off but I have done all the training 1:1 with local instructors rather than colleges etc so it is possible! I have just completed my Stage 3 Coach (the old AI). I have done it as a back up plan but I also plan to teach in my spare time.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
It's not compulsory to be signed off for Stage 1.
Apologies, I did forget the lunge section!

The BHS use of 'recommend' in the skills record, from what I've heard, still translates as 'expected' ;) That said, the panic set in for the few who hadn't been signed off for their 3 when I sat it a few weeks ago!

Last edited:

mossycup

Visit site
It says at the bottom of the skills record that it MUST be signed off by an accredited coach - that will be the issue for those not training at a BHS approved yard, but it's not too difficult to organise a local bhs coach/riding school to sign you off once you've proved your competencies

teapot

Visit site
It says at the bottom of the skills record that it MUST be signed off by an accredited coach - that will be the issue for those not training at a BHS approved yard, but it's not too difficult to organise a local bhs coach/riding school to sign you off once you've proved your competencies

Not that difficult - I know a number of APCs who don't work at riding schools/training centres. Also, I know of a number of where to train centres who won't sign you off if you've only ridden with you a handful of times.

teapot

Visit site
As I said, not too difficult :) certainly for stage 1 it feels like a tick box exercise

Also for the Stage 1, it does only say recommended to be signed off, going by the skills record sat in front of me. Just I've heard they do like people doing it.