Queen Ethelburga's doing away with the horsey side?

meandmyself

Visit site
I heard a rumour today that QE are moving away from the horsey stuff. Had a quick peek at their website and it looks kinda true- I couldn't find much horse stuff on there.

Anyone know what's going on? Are they just advertising it less?

rowan666

Visit site
oh what a shame, i begged and pleaded with my mum to send me there when i was a kid because the equestrian facilities and tuition looked amazing in the leaflet that fell out of whichever horse magazine was flavour of the month at the time.

TheMule

Visit site
The horse side went seriously downhill a few years ago and is now virtually non-existant as nothing has been maintained. Stonar is going the same way. There are very few decent horsey schools left

twobearsarthur

Visit site
oh what a shame, i begged and pleaded with my mum to send me there when i was a kid because the equestrian facilities and tuition looked amazing in the leaflet that fell out of whichever horse magazine was flavour of the month at the time.

Me too.
I thought it would be like Mallory Towers!!!
I also used to religiously fill in the E&L insurance leaflet that always fell out with various imaginary horses details lol.

Madam Min

Visit site
Me too.
I thought it would be like Mallory Towers!!!
I also used to religiously fill in the E&L insurance leaflet that always fell out with various imaginary horses details lol.

oh what a shame, i begged and pleaded with my mum to send me there when i was a kid because the equestrian facilities and tuition looked amazing in the leaflet that fell out of whichever horse magazine was flavour of the month at the time.[/QUOTE ]

Ha ha!! I use to do both of these!!

KVH

Visit site
As did I!

skint1

Visit site
I arrived in the UK when I was 16 and even at that age I thought Queen Ethelberga's was the bomb. I think the US version was called something like "Meridith Manor"

Clannad48

Visit site
10/12 years ago my daughter begged, pleaded and promised to be good forever if we would send her there. The number of leaflets from horse magazines that 'accidentally' made their way into every paper, book, magazine, post was amazing :) We actually looked into it, thought the educational side of it was promising and then added up the cost - OMG - apart from the fees, the cost of the uniform and other 'necessary items' was absolutely ridiculous. We ended up telling her that if she went there we would not be able to afford to buy her horse, luckily she decided on the horse :)

Welly

Visit site
I was told many years ago they only did the horse thing to get planning, I was also told that the school would go after a few years, watch this space!

Arniebear

Visit site
Such a shame! I actually got into this school (passed the entrance exams) unfortunaty my sister didnt so parents decided against sending us there! Did get to spend a few days boarding there whilst we sat the exams... was great fun!

GemG

Visit site
oh what a shame, i begged and pleaded with my mum to send me there when i was a kid because the equestrian facilities and tuition looked amazing in the leaflet that fell out of whichever horse magazine was flavour of the month at the time.[/QUOTE ]

Ha ha!! I use to do both of these!!

So it wasn't just me either. That made me laugh, yes I did the same as a child! Totally begged my mother to send me away to QE!

teacups

Visit site
That wouldn't surprise me - the bit about them only doing it to get planning.
As a school it doesn't have a great academic reputation, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong, though!

fatpiggy

Visit site
That wouldn't surprise me - the bit about them only doing it to get planning.
As a school it doesn't have a great academic reputation, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Funnily enough I had a look at the website a week or so ago and they claim to be the best private school in the north of England (or something). I wonder if their funding via E&L has dried up given the fact that the latter carries a bargepole warning.

teacups

Visit site
Funnily enough I had a look at the website a week or so ago and they claim to be the best private school in the north of England (or something). I wonder if their funding via E&L has dried up given the fact that the latter carries a bargepole warning.

They claim that on all the adverts, I know. I live reasonably locally, and generally the talk is that Queen Margaret's in Escrick is a lot better, both for academic results and horsey stuff. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

RunToEarth

Visit site
They claim that on all the adverts, I know. I live reasonably locally, and generally the talk is that Queen Margaret's in Escrick is a lot better, both for academic results and horsey stuff. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

It is, infinitely. One of my best friends went to QE and I visited a couple of times - the facilities were great but hardly ever used, and it wasn't known for turning out the most well rounded individuals, but then as much as QM had a great academic record during my time it was known to have a few "foot loose" ladies. Can't possibly comment... :D

Floxie

Visit site
QM is a very good school but the riding wasn't brilliant - I 'learned' there for about 10 years. The inverted commas are because you were only really taught so much, and then stuck in a rut. Only favoured pupils were taught further and allowed more involvement (i.e. actually tacking up your own pony before riding!). I think the manager had lost interest, though I don't mean to sound harsh - I did love riding there and owe my entire horsey childhood to the place. But it was frustrating to be a horsey kid and never really progress!

The facilities were lovely though, and since they got relocated they're a little less charming but much improved :)

I also begged and begged to go to QE! Never in a million years could we have afforded it. Sad to hear, though.

WindyStacks

Visit site
Another sad act here who begged and begged and filled out all the forms "ready to post".

Ironically my parents did send me away to another boarding school and I absolutely hated it (no horses natch!).

fatpiggy

Visit site
It is, infinitely. One of my best friends went to QE and I visited a couple of times - the facilities were great but hardly ever used, and it wasn't known for turning out the most well rounded individuals, but then as much as QM had a great academic record during my time it was known to have a few "foot loose" ladies. Can't possibly comment... :D

Ha, I went to a small all-girls private school which did and still does have an excellent exam/University entrance record and the Head at the time was very much into producing "young ladies". I was a day pupil but we had weekly and termly boarders too. The boarders had a reputation where men were concerned that was known 3 counties away!!!