Question about leather-soled boots

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I have two pairs of leather-soled boots; a pair by Soubirac, I think the Vienne model.
40010439.jpg

More recently I got a pair of bucket-top boots.

I don't wear the Soubirac boots very often, because although I can pull them on by myself, I have a great deal of trouble taking them off again. When I get time, I'll take them to the cobbler in town and get them enlarged in the calf a little bit. Or maybe open up the stitching at the back, sew in a thin leather insert and fit a strap fastening...

The bucket-tops, on the other hand, are much easier to get on and off, and I hope that I'll wear them a lot more often.

Now the question is, what can I do to stop the existing leather sole from wearing down, especially at the toe, especially to protect the stitching?

I'd prefer to avoid sticking on a rubber sole (especially on the bucket-tops, I want to keep them looking "period").

I was thinking of adding another piece of what I think is called sole bend (around 6mm thick leather, sold over here as "croupon pour semelle") using neoprene contact adhesive, and adding toe and heel irons, or segs, or maybe even hobnails...

Do you think that hobnails are going to pose a problem for getting the boot to sit in a stirrup correctly?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have some leather soled boots and hate them! I'm going to replace them with a rubber sole, I find them slippery and unforgiving in wet weather.
But the thought of hobnails (they stand proud, don't they?) gives me the heebie jeebies.. if you need to slip your stirrups for any reason I'd be worried that they would catch.