Question about moving yards

Marianne

Visit site
My current yard owner has a little rule that apparently takes place but it was not mentioned when we moved on. He says before you move off you have to give him a weeks noticed (other liverys have told me but I didn't have it mentioned to me!) now I'm worried has people have told me that he gets angry at you and says right you've got a stables to go to move off now, We aren't exactly in his good books either. Others have told me he charges double rent, for a week you ARENT using
crazy.gif
As we have not signed a "contract" my stepdad says you can move off as you wish but it's just good manners.

Anyway, what should we do tell him or not? We don't like him has he tends to bully us kids and we can never seem to do anything right! Which is a bit funny as we we're doing just as the adults we're doing
confused.gif

Anyways help :p

the watcher

Visit site
the easy way, if course, money allowing would be to move your horse away and on the same day hand over the final week 'notice' period, no hassle, he has no reason to complain and you are out of it. If you need to do it any other way I would get an adult involved to deal with him

pixiebee

Visit site
if there is no contract you legally are not obliged to do anything-either you or him can tell you to go without any notice and you do not have to pay a weeks notice!! If he was that worried he would have given you a contract!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
To be fair most (if not all livery yards) would expect you to give a reasonable amount of notice - and I think that one week is entirely reasonable.

Personally I wouldn't listen to gossip. If you are proposing to move yards then get your parents to inform him of the date you are leaving, and if you don't intend to give any notice (ie move on the day you tell him you are going) you will still have to pay for the notice period of a week.

RLF

Visit site
Legally as he has not given you a contract verbally or written, then you have no duty to him, but on the otherhand, it is polite to give notice and to avoid any unpleasentness, if he is going to be s***ty with you get your parents to deal with him. I would do as amymay says and give the weeks notice, if he tells you to go there and then i personally wouldnt give him a bean!
Thats my honest opionon so no comebacks please!!!!!!

amandaco2

Visit site
having been at som awful places i did move off and then pay my final rent and say i had moved. this was becasue i didnt trust the \YO not to do anythig horrible to my horses if i told them i was moving!
go with your gut.
if you think they may get funny move the horses first then tell them.