Question about putting a horse out on loan - what if they break him?

Janetterose

Visit site
Hi, I am considering putting my 15 year old TB out on loan. He is sound at the mo but am worried that they may break him and then give him back unsellable or unrideable. Obviously I would put in the contract about insurance for vets and death but doubt whether he would get loss of use insurance. I just dont want to be stuck with a horse that is injured and that when he is handed back I have to continue paying the vets fees. Anyone got any ideas how I could be protected in these circumstances?

lexiedhb

Visit site
You cant be entirely, just insure against everything you possibly can----- accidents happen, it could be with you or them that it does but you cannot prevent it!

AandK

Visit site
agree with lexiedhb's post above.. it is one of the risks of loaning out your horse i'm afraid.
making sure he is well covered by insurance is the best you can do, along with regular checks to ensure he is in good health! also asking for references as to the capability of the prospective loanee would help put your mind at ease too.
good luck
smile.gif

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Like the others say - there's always going to be risks. You just need to trust your instincts when it comes to choosing who can loan him.

I'm very lucky with the woman who has my horse on full loan whilst i'm away at college, she does a brilliant job and my horse is very taken care of. I know that if there was ever anything to happen to him, it would be an accident. After all, if he was in your care he could still get an injury or illness - it's just the luck of the draw!

lexiedhb

Visit site
Even so it is still possible that he will injure himself on loan.,..... I loaned my old TB out to a family friend, kept at a college yard, very well looked after and treated..... and regularly checked by me, he still managed to bugger his tendon whilst he was there............ no ones fault though

LadyRascasse

Visit site
i have to say it, there are no garentees, he could bugger his leg tomorrow in the field with you its no different.

nuffield

Visit site
Get it put in the loan contract that they are not to back.break/start/longrein/lunge/or ride him.
Sorted.

Aragon56

Visit site
The same happened to my mare, she injured a tendon whilst on loan. We'll probably never know exactly how she did it, but its the kind of thing she could have done in the field. Sometimes I wonder if it would never have happened if I hadn't put her on loan but you can't think like that, its no-ones fault and I know the loaner looked after her brilliantly, she had a great few years with her.

It does mean that I have her back now and won't be able to loan her out again which I was planning to do, jump or do any schooling with her. If I could afford another pony to ride I'd get one, but thats horses I guess.

Janetterose

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Get it put in the loan contract that they are not to back.break/start/longrein/lunge/or ride him.
Sorted.

[/ QUOTE ]

ask a stupid question...................

OWLIE185

Visit site
Make sure that the proposed loan contact is checked out by a solicitor so that if anything goes wrong it will stand up in a court of law.

See my post of earlier today regarding loans and ensure that you check out whoever loans your horse and retain a copy of their passport, driving licence and a utility bill to ensure that you know they are who they claim to be and what their permanent address is. Many horses have disapeared whilst on loan.

the watcher

Visit site
The best way of protecting your horse is to maintain your own insurance - you then have control over when the vet is called, are kept up to date on injuries and can insure for death/LOU as somebody who is not the owner cannot tecnically claim for these for property they do not own