Question about Sedalin

JGKJ

Visit site
Hello.

Last weekend i clipped my pony, who i have just bought back after i sold him 2 years ago (very happy hehe) anyway he used to be perfect to clip and only occasionly used a twitch to finish off his head. I clipped all his body up his neck etc, and did the top of his legs, but when i got further down his legs, he was not happy at all, he was striking out with his front legs, and trying to kick with his back legs, i had to abandon finishing him off as i could have cut his legs with the way he was prancing.

Something has probably happened i should think that has made him nervous of his legs being done and now i know this for future i will be probably leave his legs on. But he has half clipped legs at the moment and i really need to get him finished off but dont really want to have him fully sedated just to do his legs!

So wondered about Sedalin? Ive never used it and just wondered if anyone had any experiences with it? Any advice would be great thanks.

spaniel

Visit site
I would be very cautious about using sedalin on this particular problem. I know a few people who have had horses strike out at them during clipping whilst sedated with it and given that yours is prone to this anyway it may be that the Sedalin alone is not going to be enough.

I personally would get the vet out and get a good sedation under supervision for this first time. Better be safe than sorry and at least that way you shouldnt be adding to the trauma this horse has already felt.

Is it possible that there is some underlying problem with the legs like mudfever thats making him so defnsive?

JGKJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that there is some underlying problem with the legs like mudfever thats making him so defnsive?

[/ QUOTE ]

No i dont think so, he hasnt been out in the field for nearly 2 months due to limited turnout !

The only reason im clipping him is because when i got him back, he had half a clip job which kind of says to me thats maybe something had gone wrong.

Im not sure whats gone on but he really isnt happy about sort of from his knees down. Yes i know what you mean about getting him properly sedated, the worry ive had is that with him stamping like he is that i could catch him with the clippers which will only make the situation worse, its just a shame as hes so perfect to do the rest of him!!!

spaniel

Visit site
Such a shame when someone else has caused such an annoying situation. Hopefully he will settle after a few clips and you can go back to how you were before.

JGKJ

Visit site
Yeh it is, he was absolutely perfect to do before, never mooved an inch, just ate his hay! Im wondering if he has been caught with the clippers on his legs at some point and thats why hes unhappy with them being done. So you think id be better going for a full sedation? So annoying when it will take less than 10 mins so finish!!

spaniel

Visit site
I think this time I would. For safetys sake if nothing else. You dont want to end up in a dangerous or stressful situation and although its a nuisance and expense to get the vet, there are sedatives now which are very deep but fast acting so hopefully he wont be out of it for too long.

With a bit of luck a good session this time will win back his trust for the future.

JGKJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can you not twitch him just to do that bit of his legs? Surely that would be better than an expensive call out and sedation!

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know whether it will make that much of a difference to him but i will try. I am reluctant to get him sedated because it will be over 50 pounds, and just a shame for what will take 10mins, though of course i will do this if there is no other option. So do you think Sedalin is out of the question then?

icemaiden113

Visit site
Personally i would give it a go! If you twitch and it makes no difference then try it! You could always try hobble him. It isn't very nice but better than getting your head kicked in! I use sedalin quite a bit and woul recommend it, just be careful as reactions are slower.

Louby

Visit site
Ive used sedalin recently for a box rested horse to take the edge off him. On the recomended dose he was zonked but in a wierd way, totally aware but with a glazed look in his eye and sort of depressed for hours after. He was nothing like when he is sedated so I would be careful. It did take the edge off him but I think he would have reacted as usual but maybe slower in a situation like clipping. Saying that Ive been recomended to give it to him for shoeing this week and Im dreading it, hes so full of it at the moment.

fjudge

Visit site
The trouble with sedalin is it isnt that "strong". The more you use...they dont get more sedated, just takes longer for it to wear off!

Some people (i dont aggree with it one bit) jump their horses on sedalin, so i would say it isnt going to do much if your horse really wont let you near a particular part of him with clippers!

Good luck though x

Louby

Visit site
That explains wht my boy was as chilled on 1ml but back to normal much quicker. Thanks I didnt know the amount didnt effect them. He was so depressed for hours on the bigger dose.

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
I used sedalin once to clip my 5 year old.
He was dangerous, he would through himself all over the place! The vet sent me some sedalin and told me to give him 4 units and that would knock him right out (my vet knows what a nutter my horse is!) Anyway, I gave him 4 units and waited ages and ages and it didnt do a thing! So I gave him 2 more units, so in total Id given him 6 units and it didnt even come close!! I waited for hours and it didnt do a damn thing! Its odd coz when he is sedated by the vet he is out like a light on only a small amount. Anyway, I gave up waiting and put the tightest twitch on my horse that my arms could take and it knocked him right out! Got him clipped and sorted!!
What a waste of £15 that was! But saying all that, one of the girls on my yard has a 14.3 welsh cob and she used 4 units of sedalin and it worked well, he did still have to be twiched though but at least it worked abit!
So all in all Sedalin works differently on different horses. If in doubt get the vet to jab him. x