Question about 'training aids'.........

charlie76

Visit site
Just been flicking through a through posts and wondered who uses which, if any, training aids and why?
Also why do people get defensive about the use of draw reins but not side reins? Surely if a horse is not lunged correctly in side reins they can do just as much damage as a horse ridden in draw reins incorrectly-? However must people wouldn't think twice about advising the use of side reins to correct an issue?

Just wondering what other opinions are?
Personally I think, if used correctly , many training aids are helpful......

Rambo

Visit site
Bridle, Bit, Running Martingale, Saddle...whip, spurs....need I go on lol!

I use draw reins sometimes too...but never use side reins
tongue.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I dont really use any training aids as Ive never found them that useful :p

That being said, i HATE lunging with a passion. My horse is very rarely lunged. When I do lunge, however, I do use side reins albeit very loosely. I was taught to lunge in them and don't have any issue with them when used correctly (problem with side reins is that there is the ability to tie the horses head in)

Most training aids have their place, the problem occurs when people use them as a quick fix to try and take the place of correct schooling
frown.gif

KatB

Visit site
Hiya, yep completely agree with your point re side reins and draw reins!

I personally don't like side reins or draw reins, but do believe there is sometimes a need for both. I will use as few training aids as possible, as belive the only way a horse can learn to use itself is through learning own self balance/head carriage etc. I will use a pessoa when lunging, but thats about it!

However, draw reins and the such can be very useful for older horses that need reminding, and when used by people who know the implications if used incorrectly.

Tempi

Visit site
i use the following on bloss - draw reins every time i school, bridle (suprisingly!) spurs, whip (saddle/bit) and she gets lunged in a pessoa

with Archie i use spurs and the obvious saddle/bridle/bit/whip. he gets lunged in a pessoa too - i never use side reins either purely because you can get much better results from a pessoa as they work and stretch down using their whole back and hindquarters.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I have no problem with training aids providing they are used by people experienced enough to do so and they understand how they work.

I have used a variety of training aids such as draw reins, bungee and the Pessoa. They can certainly be a help for some horses and certain problems. I think you also have to recognise that the same methods do not work for every horse. One of horses at present I use draw reins on occasionly the other I would never dream of using them.

vivhewe

Visit site
I have a saddle & bridle obviously (with waterford snaffle) and a running martingale.

This is just my opinion but I hate training aids with a passion. I'm aiming to get him going minus the martingale and waterford by next summer and in a normal snaffle again.

I'd rather my horse went in a natural comfortable outline even if it takes longer to achieve. When you see 'artificial' carriage it stands out a mile
crazy.gif

*viv backs into corner and shuts the door*

Chex

Visit site
I just use a snaffle bridle and a saddle. But I don't school, just have fun hacking. I think training aids are fine if used properly, I personally wouldn't use them on mine, because I just don't see the need.

burtie

Visit site
Over the year's I have used whips, spurs, draw reins, running reins and side reins.

All can be very useful in the right circumstances and if used correctly.

I must be old fashioned as I have never thought about using any of the modern "training aids". I can see how they may help, just never came across something that couldn't be worked on with time, correct training (without aids) and the occaisional use of the items listed at the start.

cassiejane

Visit site
I think any training aid has to be used with care, the problem with side reins in that the fulcrum is fixed and it does not allow the horse to stretch its head forward (hope that makes sense not explaining it very well)

My physio actually recommended a pessoa when lunging as a good way to encourage the horse to use himself better behind and build up a better topline.

I prefer long lining to lunging myself as this just seems to encourage the horse into a better way of going without the use of training aids.

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
Whip, sometimes spurs, saddle and snaffle bridle for schooling (double for showing)

I don't personally use any "gadgets" on the horses I have, and wouldn't advise others on the use of them - I prefer to get the horse going through correct riding, but I don't have anything against other people using them, as long as they are experienced enough.