question for disablef riders on the motobility scheme

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Okay just test drove a care to see if my mum likes it, she is disabled, and the guy said that the motobility people wont give her the 4x4 version of this car as her daughters have, even though they are hers as well, horses and he thinks that we will be using it more than her. And they wont allow her to pull the horses on the scheme. Does anyone on here use the scheme? The guy was very rude, i think he was in the mind set of well they have horses they can afford anything.

Double Chocolate cake and cream as thanks.
Xxxx

Spiritedly

Visit site
I know you're not allowed to tow with a mobility car, you can only drive it, as a named driver, if you are doing something for the disabled person or they are in the car. It is also not supposed to be kept further than 3 miles from the disabled persons house on a long term basis. If the car is being used as the main car for someone other than the disabled person they can take it back off you. Apart from that as long as you are willing to pay the deposit the showroom advisor has no say in which car you decide to have. If you have any questions phone the motobility helpline and they will be able to advise you.

Ladydragon

Visit site
My husband has a motability car and I'm the only driver...

I can only drive it for or on his behalf - to run him around or to run myself around to do his business... I can't drive myself in and out of university etc... It's arguable that I would be able to do the family shop as that is also for his benefit... Pretty much, the car is supposed to sit there until he needs taking somewhere or errands run...

As for a 4 x 4... I don't know what vehicle you've been looking at but motability have recently limited the vehicles available - the scheme is to provide basic transport for individuals who need it - not a cheap way for a family to get hold of a high powered merc or off roader... So many higher end type vehicles have been removed after some fairly high profile cases...

Adding a tow bar (or any other modification) requires permission from Motability... They are not totally unreasonable and no doubt, where an individual could argue they wanted to tow a caravan for a holiday or etc they *may* agree to allow a professionally fitted tow bar as it would be for the direct benefit of the disabled person on the scheme... But again, with the restriction on available vehicles, that query may be negated in advance given the availability of vehicles that can tow adequately... The sales assistant will know which vehicles are available and has no say in whether the qualifying individual can have one - although, be aware, if s/he (or anyone else) feels the scheme is being abused they can refer it to Motability who are committed to clamping down on scheme abuse...

It is a great scheme...within the confines of what it's meant for... HTH :)