Question for people who ride treeless

boxcarhorse

Visit site
Hi

I've just got a treeless saddle, only to be used for hacking on a very wide, flat backed cob. I've never ridden in a treeless before and I've noticed that although it fits width ways, there is hardly any space above the horse's wither. Does that matter? It's a very soft flexible saddle, so it's not going to be the same sort of pressure a treed saddle would give if it fitted like that - but I'm just not sure what is considered acceptable and what isn't with a treeless.

Any advice much appreciated!

webble

Visit site
Which one? Is it leather? If so it will be the vogue or the phoenix. heather suggests using these with a hi wither nuumed numnah and a griffin shimmy pad. Why not joing one of her fb pages and ask questions about fit on there?

You are right though they do sit a lot lower than a normal saddle and it does take some getting used to and possibly adjustments. It's worth it though for the comfort :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP what make is your treeless??

Coz with some of the treeless saddles like Barefoot, you can get a wider or narrower pommel insert. There's a zipped bit on the pommel which you can very easily change if you need to.

I've got an Exmoor saddle made by "Tree-Free" and that too has a changeable pommel insert.

But not all treeless saddles are put together like this: I've also got a HM FlexEE which you can change the moveable panels and/or use shimming to make it fit.

What sort of pad are you using underneath? When I started going treeless I was told that the choice of pad was as important, in fact MORE so, than the actual saddle itself, as it is the pad that protects the back and cushions the saddle. It might be worth looking at the saddle pad and/or any shimming required.

But really TBH I would suggest that you get someone who's used to these sort of saddles and/or a saddle fitter, to take a look at your saddle OP because treeless saddles - if badly fitted - have as much capacity, if not more so, to cause damage to the horse's back then a treed saddle and you don't want this to happen. Just because its "treeless" doesn't mean it can't or won't cause a problem - a common misconception unfortunately.