Question for ROG - 3.5 + caravan?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Hi ROG :)

I have a van conversion 3.5 and have come round to the thought that the easiest/cheapest way to get proper living is to keep it (very handy for the small lanes around us and tiny turning circle at the vets) and tow a small caravan just when I need it for weekend events.

I have a pre '97 full licence and its a Renault Master long wheelbase 2.5dci automatic. What's the largest/heaviest caravan I could safely sensibly tow with a nearly fully loaded van (I have checked on a weigh bridge, I'm still legal with horse + all weekend stuff and me) and could a caravan ever be too small for that tow vehicle (e.g. the GRP 750kg Freedoms)?

Thanks very much!!

BTW I'd go on a towing course anyway just to be safe as I've never towed before

GeeBee45

Visit site
Without stealing Rogs' thunder, a quick answer is approx. 2 tonnes or 2 000kg, it's the same thing but some folk get confused.

The figures below are maximum permitted weights for the 3ltr high top van built between 2003 and 2006 the 2.5 ltr will be similar but not necessarily the same;
Front axle 2060kg
Back axle 1850
Vehicle Gross 3500
Vehicle + trailer 5500
Taking the gross weight from the combination weight gives a maximum braked trailer weight of 2000kg. Check with you handbook or Renault dealer to verify this as Manufacturers will often give a lower maximum trailer weight, if that is the case you have to go with the manufacturers figure.

Usually on the drivers door frame or possibly seat base on your vehicle you will find the Manufacturers plate which will give the same figures for your vehicle. Substitute the figures from your vehicle plate for the ones above. The weights are often written in the order; Gross, combination, front axle(1) and back axle(2), just to be confusing!

Remember that when a Manufacturer gives a maximum weight to be towed they are talking about what the trailer actually weighs, NOT what it is plated at. For example, perfectly legal to tow a trailer with a maximum plated weight of 3 tonnes (3000kg) behind your Renault PROVIDED it doesn't ACTUALLY weigh more than 2 tonnes (2000kg).

Now back to ROG

Last edited: