Question for showjumpers

Mule

Visit site
Is a horse that is scopey, excellent to read a fence and never touches them worthwhile if, it also has the following trait-
The horse doesn't help you out at a fence. It's very careful of itself. For XC you need a horse that will help, is this as important in showjumping?

The horse is great xc, the rider just regulates speed and keeps it between hand and leg as it can judge its' strides.

I know more advanced showjumping riders need to place horses as the courses become more technical. The horse has good ability on the flat but comes alive when it sees a fence.
My question is; would this horse be a useful show jumper? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
If it is great xc and requires little input from the rider, other than getting it there in balance, then it does help the rider in the best possible way and up to a point that should transfer to pure SJ depending on how far you plan on going, when you say it comes alive do you mean it takes the rider forward in a mannerly way or it takes charge and becomes rude? your OP is rather confusing as to what it is doing or on what level you are talking about, more clarity may get a clearer opinion.

Mule

Visit site
If it is great xc and requires little input from the rider, other than getting it there in balance, then it does help the rider in the best possible way and up to a point that should transfer to pure SJ depending on how far you plan on going, when you say it comes alive do you mean it takes the rider forward in a mannerly way or it takes charge and becomes rude? your OP is rather confusing as to what it is doing or on what level you are talking about, more clarity may get a clearer opinion.

By coming alive I mean he absolutely loves jumping, he takes the rider forward. He jumps for fun.

By not helping the rider I suppose I mean a less experienced rider who isn't always 100% confident, inclined to look down etc. (me)

He takes his confidence from his rider. It's really a case of him not wanting to know if the rider isn't that confident/ makes mistakes.

My explanation isn't great, probably because I'm more of a dressage person so I wouldn't be jumping him. He jumped 1.20m unaffiliated with his former owner, an eventer. I don't know if that was his limit or the riders limit. Since he has been dressage trained his jump has become more powerful.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if he has been well educated so may not take as much confidence from the rider now and if the new rider had a few good lessons working on learning to sit, look up and leave the horse to do its job then it could be an ideal schoolmaster at lower levels than it has been jumping.
He sounds from your description just the type I look for when looking for the average rider that wants to improve and have fun competing, they can be hard to find and there is a slight risk of them taking advantage of a lesser rider but if the education has been done correctly, they are well established and have a good temperament it can work very well, my only reservation would be whether he does take confidence from his rider in a normal way or if he has been nursed/ conned along by a very capable jockey but even that type can still work well if everything else is right.
My first proper event horse came from a very talented SJ rider who had placed him at every fence up to jumping Foxhunters, along comes me and we could barely get over a x pole if I didn't get him to his idea of a perfect take off position, within 6 months or so we were doing Novice BE, no 80/ 90 in the old days! it took a lot of work to get together but once he accepted I made mistakes he had the scope and attitude to help out.

Mule

Visit site
It sounds as if he has been well educated so may not take as much confidence from the rider now and if the new rider had a few good lessons working on learning to sit, look up and leave the horse to do its job then it could be an ideal schoolmaster at lower levels than it has been jumping.
He sounds from your description just the type I look for when looking for the average rider that wants to improve and have fun competing, they can be hard to find and there is a slight risk of them taking advantage of a lesser rider but if the education has been done correctly, they are well established and have a good temperament it can work very well, my only reservation would be whether he does take confidence from his rider in a normal way or if he has been nursed/ conned along by a very capable jockey but even that type can still work well if everything else is right.
My first proper event horse came from a very talented SJ rider who had placed him at every fence up to jumping Foxhunters, along comes me and we could barely get over a x pole if I didn't get him to his idea of a perfect take off position, within 6 months or so we were doing Novice BE, no 80/ 90 in the old days! it took a lot of work to get together but once he accepted I made mistakes he had the scope and attitude to help out.
He definitely doesn't need to be nursed. I actually relearned how to ride on him. I rode for about 5 years as a child. Then I stopped and started again 18 years later. I'd forgotten everything.

It took me a long time to learn to shorten my reins from washing lines so unfortunately he learned to do an occasional run out 😳 oops!
When he's ridden hand between leg he's honest.

There's someone I know who has recently had to retire their jumper. I'd like the horse to keep up jumping as cross training so I'm curious as to whether he'd be useful to the person. The person jumped at 1.10 with the horse he had to retire. I would keep up his dressage training so it would be a share. What do you think?
I haven't asked the person if he'd be interested yet because I don't know if it would be something a show jumper would be interested in.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
If the person rides well and you think it is going to benefit you and your horse there is no reason to not at least give it a try, if he comes and rides him at home and does not gel you have lost nothing, if they get on and he is prepared to put in some time before competing then it could work well, he may want another horse of his own but this could be a stop gap that could give him breathing space so it will do no harm to ask with no long term commitment either side for a month or two.

Mule

Visit site
If the person rides well and you think it is going to benefit you and your horse there is no reason to not at least give it a try, if he comes and rides him at home and does not gel you have lost nothing, if they get on and he is prepared to put in some time before competing then it could work well, he may want another horse of his own but this could be a stop gap that could give him breathing space so it will do no harm to ask with no long term commitment either side for a month or two.
That sounds sensible. Thanks for your advice :)