question for those who use myler combination bits

Pancakes

Visit site
do you put anything over the piece that sits over the nose to provide extra cushioning/ padding? The material that sits over the nose just seems a little servere and wondered if any of you think the same and have used sheepskin padding or something else, if so what?
Or please tell me if i am just being a wet lettuce :S
chocolate muffins for all:D

PorkChop

Visit site
I use a short shank, and I do cover the rawhide nose piece with sheepskin.

However, they are not designed for this, this bit is not designed to be ridden on a contact, but pressure and release, aka cowboy style.

But sometimes my horse forgets this! Therefore I put the sheepskin on to prevent rubbing :rolleyes:

catembi

Visit site
Haven't used mine for aaaaages, but I seem to rem that the rope-y bit at the back rubbed, so I covered it with a square of material that came with my thermatex to repair it in case it tore.

TarrSteps

Visit site
They do/used to come in two styles as the one I have now has a rubber covered nosepiece but my last one was rawhide.

The "traditional" method of dealing with rubs or bulking the rope out a bit is to use Vetrap. In insane colours if you're that way inclined. :)

As above though, they are made to give a very clear pressure and release signal, hence the use of quite a sturdy material rather than a soft rope or leather, so it defeats the purpose to pad them up.

Enfys

Visit site
It was the only bit my arab liked, and God knows we tried enough before we agreed on this one, but he didn't like the rawhide noseband, he fussed with his head all the time. I covered it with sheepskin cut from an old charity shop jacket, he was happy then.

:( Not quite how it was meant to work I know, but a happy compromise in our case.

Pancakes

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies:)
I couldn't remember the name of the material when origanally posting, but i have the short shank one with rawhide over the nose. It hasnt started rubbing yet but i was worried about it doing so.
Similar to you Enfys i have had a battle with trying to find a bit my horse would happily go in, yet provide me with enough brakes for xc;)
I think i may place some sheepskin over it for my personal peace of mind (or in the case of the fun ride i am going on tomorrow, vet wrap. Although i may avoid the flouresents!:D)

Pancakes

unbalanced

Visit site
I seem to remember putting it in hot water to shape it to her nose then putting vetwrap around it. The vetwrap went hard after a while though so it wasn't really ideal. Now when I use it I just use then rawhide but I tend to use it as a hacking bridle and I have her on a contact only for short periods (5min) then spend 20min on the buckle neck reining which I guess would make it a lot less likely to rub anyway.