Question from a dressage saddle newbie...

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Right...I ride four times a week, two horses, thats eight hours. So I would consider myself quite fit but....

I bought Bruce a new dressage saddle. I rode in it tonight for 45 minutes, doing the normal stuff I do when I ride in my usual saddle (close contact jumping) but ly legs are killing me...I can hardly walk! I have been achey before but I actually cant tense my muscles, and my calves feel like I have been riding an elephant...

Is this normal? What do I do!
crazy.gif

Judie

Visit site
Oh yes, it's normal! If you've been use to a close contact saddle your inner thighs won't be as stretched as they are in the dressage, you'll get use to it, but in the mean time it will hurt like hell
tongue.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Hiya
smile.gif

You might find first off that the stirrup bars on your dressage saddle are further back than on your jumping saddle. This is to "place" you into a better alignment. Its fabulous for your position but perhaps a shock to the muscles
wink.gif

Also, im guessing you're riding in much longer stirrups in the dressage saddle than in the close contact... again, this means you'll be stretching your muscles in a way they arent used to.

You'll soon adjust
wink.gif
Its all what your muscles get used to
wink.gif
My trainer had me riding in canter with my stirrups shorter than usual and in more forward cross country type position this week. She did this for only about ten minutes and I got off and nearly collapsed! Felt crippled the next day too
wink.gif

Think of your position and stick with it!
wink.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
thanks....but it huuuurrrtttss! i am going to stick at it....I am going to aim to get him round an intro event next year, so im trying to get myself into flatwork...and rapidly going off it! thought it might be a nice change from showjumping after all these years, but beginning to regret my decision!ooooh i feel about 70!
grin.gif
!