Question on Confidence Givers

amzy

Visit site
What would you expect of a confidence giver in order to give someone confidence, mainly for hacking? Would you expect it to be completely bombproof no matter what or do you think this is asking too much from most horses?

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
A good confidence giver would be absolutley unflappable - buses tractors lorries - plastic bin liners - llamas! LOL! anything that it came across it should just continue as normal...

However there are different "types" of confidence givers - an older school master event/show jumper can give someone "confidence" around big tracks - but they wouldn't necessarily be "Confidence Givers" whilst out hacking...

A genuine confidence giver is forgiving... whatever job it's doing!
smile.gif

Hope that helps?
Kate x

miamibear

Visit site
They are out there.

I bought a confidence giver for me, he must have known i was papping my pants because when he first came he wouldnt shy at anything absolutely nothing no matter the size or scariness!!

Now im a bit more confident he lets out a couple of shies - i dont mind though, it gives him character and im not frightened any more! Its only at silly things though, hes still sensible in traffic.

I suppose it would depend on what you are looking for wether you mind that sort of thing! I found that at first i was a wreck and i needed something totally 100%, i couldnt even walk down the road on my own and i was petrified of off road riding, even in walk. Now i take him out on my own and its nice to have something a bit sharper or i think i would be bored!

I would say all horses are living animals and there are no guarantees no matter how much you pay! Sensible ones are out there though!!

BTW i would expect it to not bat an eyelid at any traffic, go out on its own or in company, go off road and not get silly or strong and no silly shying at bags in the hedge
wink.gif
grin.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
a confidence giver means different things to different people.
For example a complete novice would want something that just plodded along and never shied at anything.
YO has a pony who has given me loads of confidence. He does fart about occasionally, but that's great, cos I know he's safe and learn to go with it and relax no matter what. He would never bolt (even if he feels he's going to) and so is teaching me how to relax him and myself.
Personally I like a fun confidence giver, it can shy or whatever, so long as it doesnt bolt/rear, it gives me confidence after I was bolted with previously. Yet many people would say something that shied would scare them.

miamibear

Visit site
I understand where you are coming from Kate!

When i first got Red i wanted a plodder - which he was.

Now i know i have a horse with brakes who doesnt buck or rear and so the odd shy doesnt bother me!

JAK

Visit site
I would describe Fat Orange One as a 'confidence giver' out hacking!
smile.gif

Although he snorts, jogs & puffs along (he is a sec C x after all! LOL), he takes everything in his stride, is completely traffic-proof (as far as any pony/horse can be!), reacts in a kindly manner to a nervous reaction from his rider, is happy to go first or last & will happily take the lead & take others past 'scary objects'!

His whole demeanour is one of 'C'mon chaps, nothing to be scared of here - let's push on, shall we?' He has an excellent temperament & is uncommonly brave & confident, without being 'cocky' with it & he takes his job very seriously when it comes to looking after his rider!

He is a popular hacking companion & often goes out with a Han x TB, who is a complete nitwit......'Eek, a leaf!', 'God, a wheelie bin!', 'Arrgghh, a drain cover!'
FOO ignores him completely, even when his pal is bumping into him & his 'jolly hockey sticks' attitude of 'Oh, do come on, you big fairy!' eventually gets 'em all past most things!
cool.gif

amzy

Visit site
Well, I bought mine as a confidence giver but, going by what you think, I would say she wasn't. She's not too bad at all but I am a nervous rider these days after buying the wrong horse a few years ago and I think she is picking up on my nerves. I blame myself as I thought every horse picked up on the riders nerves and then got nervous themselves.

miamibear

Visit site
I was pooping my pants when i took Red out for our first steady walk round a field and hack down the road! He never took advantage of my nerves, he could obviously feel that i was as stiff as a brick my legs were shaking and although i was talking to him it was all broken up with tears and a shaky voice but just kept walking steady regardless, even on the way home!!

I think i have a horse though who supports a nervous rider if that exists, he kind of knows you are nervous and looks after you but when someone not so nervous gets on he doesnt have to be on "best behaviour"

They are out there and my advice would be if you are loosing confidence on your horse, please dont hesitate to do something about it - get some help from a friend or instructor, i couldnt have done it without the help of my friends on the yard, they were brill.

My instructor who is also one of my good friends knew just how far she could push me without going over the edge! and it helped no end. She popped on him when i didnt feel confident enough to show me he was safe and encouraged me in to thinking i wasnt such a bad rider after all!

You obviously cant do it alone - you need help and a forgiving horse is the most important thing.

I was annoyed with myself that i let it get as far as i did almost to the point of me giving up riding all together but if i hadnt hung on i wouldnt have found Red!

Theres the perfect one out there waiting for you!
smile.gif

amzy

Visit site
So there is hope! I was beginning to think I should give up now myself as I am just like you were. Trouble is I absolutely hate selling horses and I don't want to sell her and find myself one that ends up being even worse. I shall try and find some help first as I know she doesn't really want to hurt me and I owe it to her to pull myself together a bit.

miamibear

Visit site
Yes get help, try not to put yourself down and only do things that are "safe" or that you feel ok with dont feel the need to push yourself too far!

Your confidence will build gradually.

A lot of it is down to the horse though and do give it time but if there isnt any improvement please look for another, i don want anyone going down the road i went down, its awful and has changed me as a person!

Parkranger

Visit site
I was suprised at what a confidence giver Ty is ..... when I first brought him I was worried that being a TB we were going to have fun when we hacked out but the complete opposite is true. I'd say next to some of the heavier cobs on our yard he's probably the most unflappable - never farts about on the road and his spooks are 3 steps forward in a trot, never side steps. Likes to 'look' at things occasionally but is generally a very brave horse.

Very lucky me thinks!