Question - putting mare into foal

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
Not sure if this is the right forum....was having some general thoughts, how old would be considered too old for a mare to potentially be put in foal for the first time ? Pros and Cons etc ?

pixie

Visit site
I wouldn't use a maiden older than about 15 years. As well as the stress of carrying the foal, as well as parturition; you should also remember that the eggs are also 15 years old and will be more prone to genetic mutation. There is a smaller chance that the pregnancy would take to begin with, and be able to continue.

I guess I would liken it to a 45+y.o woman getting pregnant
wink.gif

pixie

Visit site
Perhaps see what your vet thinks about it.

Although honestly you need to think carefully about why you're breeding from her. Her being being unable to be ridden/old/whatever is a poor reason. There are enough poor quality animals with bad conformation, so you should only really breed from her if she has great conformation/temperament etc and similarly a suitable stallion should be used.

Perhaps you should read up on the matter some more:)

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
Have been doing a bit of reading, but sometimes people's opinions are handy to know. She is a lovely mare, fit and healthy and no health problems, calm and kind temperament and very honest. Confirmation good too
smile.gif

Background to it is, I bought a 6 month old Welsh Section A colt foal 4 years ago and plan to sell him in the Spring as he is wasted with me sadly
frown.gif
And Was considering buying another youngster, but the thought crossed my mind about breeding from my mare - and keeping the foal instead
smile.gif

But like I said....just a thought, and not something I would go into lightly
wink.gif
so don't worry!

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
I would agree with Pixie on the age front and also on the reasons for breeding with the mare.

Also have known older breeding mares to hold without too much trouble as well, but again this depends on the condition of the mare etc. We have known of several maiden mares being around 19 years young. I guess this is just because some competition horses are around 17+ when retired from competition.

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
My vet knows my mare well, so he would happily give me his honest opinion. Without a doubt, I wouldn't want to put her through it if it would be too much for her
smile.gif

valentine

Visit site
hi my mare has just had her first foal and she is 14 yrs i think it was the best thing ive every done and at the right time. She is now enjoying her time off as she has always been in work jumping. she is growing her first furry coat and enjoying being a mum!!! The only thing i would say is that i would recomend sending her to stud with someone experienced if you havent done it before. As when my mare had hers she was quite dramatic and made out she was havig an elephant!!!! she was serdated for the birth and then serdated for the next 15 hrs as she was finding it hard to let him feed as she was so confused, after this time all was fine but not sure that i would have know what i was doing if she was at home. I know it is expensive but better than a dead foal!!! goodluck and enjoy every minute of it it is expensive but well worth it (i keep telling my husband this but not sure he believes me!)