Question re reschooling Lead Rein Pony

showpony

Visit site
I all, we have a fab section A lead rein pony whom has taught my daughter ALOT ... however now daughter is more than ready to go off the lead rein permenantly .. 6 out of 10 times pony is fine but can get a bit of a handful the odd time ( no badness at all just to stress that ) . So my plan is to reschool the pony over the winter months - am light enough for her to take my weight and sat up on her last night & she was fine.
So has anyone here helped a Lead Rein pony develop into a safe First Ridden, all tips welcome:)

scheherazade

Visit site
I've found that it is very similar to teaching any baby - (although a lot of the ground work will already have been done presumably, as most LR ponies will have had a period being lunged / long reined) - in that they need to understand the aids and what is being asked of them. Bear in mind also that if the pony has always been a LR pony, it may not have been cantered, so there will be quite a bit of work to be done in this area

Good luck

Littlelegs

Visit site
Some ponies just aren't able to make the transistion, hence the high price of first riddens. I would be tempted to find a competent child to ride. You may be fine to ride it, but a clever pony will soon realise the difference between an adult & a child, & no matter how well it goes for an adult could remain the same for a novice child.

showpony

Visit site
Canter transition isn't a problem anymore - we have that one nailed which is great..We do have a competent small experienced rider who rides her one to 2 days a wk & that has helped heeps but unfortunatly she is leaving the yard hense why I am going to try some reschooling .... Pony is not going anywhere - will persevere:)

Some ponies just aren't able to make the transistion, hence the high price of first riddens. I would be tempted to find a competent child to ride. You may be fine to ride it, but a clever pony will soon realise the difference between an adult & a child, & no matter how well it goes for an adult could remain the same for a novice child.

Littlelegs

Visit site
By transistion I meant personality wise. I can think of a few just that daughters ridden, fab on the lr & fun, safe rides for more competent kids. But no amount of schooling will make them first riddens. I'm not saying that sometimes it isn't the case that a pony just needs schooling or that some don't do lr & fr very well. But some ponies just don't make first riddens, however hard you try.

Asha

Visit site
By transistion I meant personality wise. I can think of a few just that daughters ridden, fab on the lr & fun, safe rides for more competent kids. But no amount of schooling will make them first riddens. I'm not saying that sometimes it isn't the case that a pony just needs schooling or that some don't do lr & fr very well. But some ponies just don't make first riddens, however hard you try.

Totally agree with littlelegs.

We tried what your doing, and failed. Should have bought that real first ridden. Its really hard when your children at this stage.

Its so easy to get attached to the pony when your children have done so much with them, they become a part of the family.
BUT, sometimes its the right thing to move on. Hindsight is a wonderful thing !