Question - use for this bit..?

Sal_E

Visit site
I can see that this is quite a versatile bit, although I was surprised to hear that it's popularity is growing in the showing world - surely this isn't in ridden classes? I (clearly) don't know much about showing, but I thought most ridden showing is done in a double bridle, I'm sure this bit isn't replacing that, surely? Is it possibly being used in-hand?

Is it being used for ponies or mainly horses?

219272.jpg

Bossanova

Visit site
Little ponies (lead reins/first riddens) arent allowed to be show in doubles so these are all the rage to give kids more control

TGM

Visit site
Popular for the smaller show ponies as it is meant to give the small riders more control than a straight forward snaffle.

Sal_E

Visit site
I seeeee, thank-you. I wonder if it will catch on as the new 3 ring continental - i.e. versatile bit with several options AND makes it quite clear that your horse is not a straight-forward ride
crazy.gif

It does have the same advantage as the 3 ring - that you could go out for the day on the mildest setting but have additional options if caught short...

flyingfeet

Visit site
It also has more uses than you think

We sell a lozenge version and sell Nathe nylon cheeks that go through and turn this into a running gag - nifty huh?

Drummer

Visit site
My friend calls them Essex Girls bits, they do them in a more horse friendly size and a few showjumpers are into them. Pretty sure its the same bit anyway!?!?

lucemoose

Visit site
Ive got one of those in a happy mouth...but im not an essex girl!!Its less severe than the "cartwheel" bits , and seems to have the same effect as my hanging cheek but without the leaning ...Sj lesson tomo hope it works...

Drummer

Visit site
I am from Kent and I do love my dutch gag, so I think that could be the kent girls bit!

I have no idea why she calls it that, lol!

I would really like to try one see if the help with my boy, but can only find little ones!?!?

teapot

Visit site
Really useful little bit for showing and ideal for RC ponies which are speedy but you dont want to use the likes of a kimblewick etc on them

Thistle

Visit site
Use one for Willough eventing, She needs a bit more than a snaffle but not much. She dressages in a KK training lozenge then has a lozenge wilkie (beval) bit. She has it on the main ring for SJ and just pop it dowm the loops for XC. Great when you don't have time to change tack.

buzzles

Visit site
It can also be called a wilkie snaffle and is quite popular for showing ponies, particularly novice, lead rein or first ridden classes where a snaffle is required. It's stronger than most of the other permitted snaffles as it has slight poll pressure so it gives the riders more control.