Questions about brushing (not as in grooming!)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Have a few questions about brushing....

1. Can a horse that has never brushed start doing it?

2. If so, what sort of things might cause it?

3. Is brushing something that can be improved with shoeing, work etc?

4. If a horse already brushes, can it get worse?

5. What might be the causes of it getting worse, assuming the horse is being worked correctly?

No particular reason for asking this. My horse brushes behind slightly and I know it's fairly common anyway, just something I've been wondering about.

RunToEarth

Visit site
My horse brushes slightly behind. I have noticed that when he is only in light work he brushes more than when he is competition fit. I have no reasoning for this though
smile.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Brushing can be down to lots of things, conformation, problems, laziness...
First thing I would always do is make sure the back and teeth are ok. Then I would consider lateral extensions on the shoes of the offending leg/s.
Some horses just do it, then I would consider 3/4 shoes.

chipsnham

Visit site
Yes, a horse that has never brushed can start as a result of age, fitness level or injury. I have found that fit horses brush less and even they can do it when tired. Would be sensible to use brushing boots during the fittening process and beyond if he still does it. Good shoeing helps and bad shoeing can really make it worse. Conformation plays its part but can be improved by schooling and fitness regime.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]

I would consider lateral extensions on the shoes of the offending leg/s.
Some horses just do it, then I would consider 3/4 shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate a bit on that a bit? That's not something I've heard of....
confused.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks, that helps.

Mine has always done it a little bit but it's increased a bit recently although I think that's due to having some time off over the summer and needing to get him fitter. It's also something he do mostly out hacking which could well be down to laziness on his part - when he's working correctly in the school it's not something I notice (I've watched other people ride him). Shoeing may or may not be an issue as he's unshod on the back anyway.

Thanks guys, that's interesting.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Lateral extensions are just shoes with a bit that flick off the outside end (if that makes sense). They help to straighten a horses movement. 3/4 shoes are just that, the inside 1/4 of the shoe is taken off, so when they do brush there is no shoe to catch the opposite leg.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Makes perfect sense, thanks
smile.gif

I think I just need to get to work on fittening! He had 2 or 3 months off this summer and has only just come back into full work in the last 6 weeks so I don't think that helps matters. Lots of lunging and long reining ahead to build the right muscles up I think!