questions about driving (a pony)

mandwhy

Visit site
I have a little welsh pony on loan with option to buy who is just under 11hh and quite fine. She is only 2, doesn't do much but I am going to start long lining her at some point.

I have been thinking it might be fun to drive her when she is older! I don't really know much about driving so would get someone to teach us and assist.

I am just wondering what sort of weight a pony of her size can pull? I was thinking of a simple exercise cart type thing, would that be ok for her to pull an adult, or even two?! Sorry if that is a dumb question, I am just musing whether it will be an option one day!

She is quite a wizzy and somewhat reactive pony at the moment, so I suppose time will tell, but I quite like the idea of walking alongside or riding my other horse whilst my OH drives her one day!

Bobbly

Visit site
Go for it, great fun and very capable of taking two, just make sure you take time se sensitise her with all manner of things, she needs to be brave enough for you to push her past scary things without spooking.

mandwhy

Visit site
Great thank you!

She will need quite a lot of bombproofing and getting used to traffic, but I am hoping we will be living somewhere more rural by that time, so any experience of our current busy roads from walks will be a bonus! I have only taken her out a few times and she varies really, she is better alone than out with the other horse as she is terrified of encroaching on her space and getting told off (they love each other really).

I'm excited it sounds fun!

Miss Piggy

New User
Visit site
The rule of thumb is ideally around 1:1 weight wise (pony's weight compared to what he's pulling, so carriage and humans) but on flat/ hard ground with the right carriage and fit pony you can go higher