Questions about moving yards

tubby1

Visit site
Have just moved my horse back to the yard she originally came from. She seems quite settled but is in a field on her own but is next to lots of other horses separatedby electric fencing . Do you think this is ok for her ? At my last yard she was in a large mixed herd. Also how long before I should ride her she was moved yesterday & was planning on riding tommorow ( I'm a total nervous Nellie ) and don't want to have a bad start. Have got a good outdoor school & lovely quiet hacking .x

hudsonw

Visit site
Why is she on her own? Some yards have a settling in period and then move them in to another field?
Could you not ask for her to have a friend?
However if she seems settled then I'm sure she'll be fine until she can have friends, Just make sure she's not the last one out so she's by herself too much.

If she seems happy then you'll be fine to ride. If your a bit nervous the try walking your mare around the school in hand so it's not all new to her while your on her back. It will give her a chance to have a look and sniff.

Go out with someone else on your first hack even if that person is on foot or a bike. Not only can hey tell you good places for a trot or canter but your horse will feel more settled with company.

Good luck at your new yard, make friends and have fun.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I never put a new horse in with others. It is foolish. I separate them with electric fencing and put them next to the horse or horses they will eventually be turned out with. Depending on how well the introductions go, they are usually allowed in with the herd after one to two weeks.

DosyMare

Visit site
If she seems happy then you'll be fine to ride. If your a bit nervous the try walking your mare around the school in hand so it's not all new to her while your on her back. It will give her a chance to have a look and sniff.

Go out with someone else on your first hack even if that person is on foot or a bike.

Agree with the above especially about leading her in hand for a sniff and look. Even lunge her first if your nervous she might be to excited.

As for fields I believe horses should be in groups - they are herd animals. I understand there are a few horses they aren't social able.
At my yard we have indivual paddocks and mine was not happy. I joined two other liverys and got a bigger field for the four of them to be together. Could you look for a friend to turn out with.

tubby1

Visit site
I will speak to the yard owner tommorow . She was meant to go in with another mare who she knew from before but I don't think this horses owner puts her horse out if it's not very nice. I moved coz I think she should be out everyday and she was on restricted turnout . Will take her for a walk round the school to let her check it out.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I think if she goes in with a horse that she has known previously and got on with then she should be fine. As a rule I would agree with Wagtail that next to each other for a short time is a good way to introduce as it will tell you if there may be any problems such as squealing and trying to kick out and strike each other. Far better if there is a fence in between to try and deter it although I have seen a mare take a fence down trying to strike out at mine.
My horses have done a bit of both getting used to other horses in nearby paddock or else have gone straight in with them.
Luckily I have laid back horses that will get on with pretty much anything. They have been in fields in their own herd, pairs or in with others. Some situations worked and others didn't. Have to say that it was the other horses that caused the trouble not mine, not being biased but true. I have one very large horse that usually wants to come out first but as time has passed he has mellowed on this. However the horse who is a leader type will move out of the way if challenged by another or one threatens to kick him so he is certainly not a problem horse.
As for the riding I would say ride tomorrow OP if you want to. I have ridden mine within a few days of moving and in most cases had to ride to yards to move anyway as have no transport. Good luck and hope you managed to move the shavings bed ok x