Questions to ask new Yard Owner?

J_sarahd

Visit site
As I’ve mentioned in other threads, I’m currently in the process of buying my own, and first, pony. And tomorrow I’m going to have a look around a potential livery yard and my naive mind is stumped for important questions to ask. So far I have:

What exactly does part livery include?
What’s the notice period if I wanted to leave?
How much extra would it cost if I wanted full livery for 1 day, 1 week etc?

Please help a very naive new owner. Annoyed that where my share pony is kept has no spaces as I know that yard like the back of my hand!!

be positive

Visit site
How much turn out do they get?
Is it ever restricted so they end up staying in for several days?

Some questions will depend on what is include in part livery, if bedding/ hay is included is there a set amount or is it as much as required, if it is included and a set amount buying extra can add up so get that clarified.

Is there a regular farrier willing to take on an extra client, do they have a vet doing routine visits?

Any additional expenses such as paying for school lights.

There are numerous other things but many will be specific to whatever you buy, a mare may not be happy in a mixed herd for example, some horses hate individual turnout and get very stressed being alone.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Times, for yard opening and turnout (when one told me she liked horses to be out whatever the weather I wasn't told but in the winter that still meant getting them in at 2pm...)

littlemiss1

Visit site
I would ask about the use of facilities such as use of the school does it need to pre booked.

Field turn out is this in groups, individual turn out, how much turn out is provided.

Is there someone on site for farrier, vet checks etc if you cannot get to the yard for these yourself.

Good Luck with the new pony and yard, its very exciting

SpringArising

Visit site
Does the school freeze over in winter?
Are you allowed to use your own vet/farrier?
What payment method do they prefer, and when?
Is a deposit required?
Is there a place to keep tack and is it secure?

ihatework

Visit site
In addition to the above think about what your routine would ideally be and then work out if this will fit with how the yard runs.

Common problems on DIY/assisted/part are often things like access to the school, other people bringing in at different times causing friction etc

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Great questions above. I'd also ask if theres times you have to be at the yard by/done by as one yard I viewed had a 7pm closing time in winter - would of not suited me at all! I'd try and chat to a livery at the end of the viewing if possible (but don't make it awkward) or see if a friend of a friend knows any. They will tell you how it is and the truth.

I viewed a yard last year, the YO said turn out all winter. Turned out a friend of a friend knew someone and they were kept in all winter, she told everyone this just to get liveries in. SO glad I asked around as me and the horses would of been gutted!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Thank you everyone, these are really good questions that I’m going to write these down for tomorrow. I am so nervous! Thankfully the YO is also my friends YO at a different, more expensive, fancy livery so at least there’s that!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would ask about where to store your stuff, and how secure it is. There was a lot of pilfering at yards I was at previously, but stuff could not be locked away from other liveries. Nothing worse than going up to ride and finding your saddle is out on another livery's horse, or that you want to muck out and someone else has all your tools. As for feed - I ended up keeping it in my garage at home and taking it up in plastic carrier bags, my feed requirements halved.

I would ask who would be handling my horse, or if DIY do they have a bringing in arrangement.

Can I use my own farrier/vet/trainer? Is there storage for transport? Emergency cover if I were indisposed? Is there a social side to the yard? FB page? CCTV that I can access from my phone? Are dogs/children allowed? Do I book the school? How is turnout arranged? Is there some form of isolation procedure for new horses? What are the yard hours? Which stable could I have? What is hacking like? Do other liveries hack out?