Questions to ask when looking at a horse.

Rosie

Visit site
Hi, I'm going to look at a possible loan horse tomorrow and was wondering what questions I need to ask. This will be my first ever horse! I'm taking my instructor with me but I just wanted to have an idea of what to ask before I go.
The horse is called Rosie, she's 13.2hh and 23 years old. She's a Welsh x and dark bay.
Thanks

Equi

Visit site
At 23 I would be asking if she is fit to do the amount of riding you are realistically wanting to do (ie is she a light hack only or can you do some schooling; are there any limitations on what she can do such as jumping or circles. What is she currently doing and would she cope with less or more of that)

Is she on any medication/supplements to help her or does she require any steroid injections etc to help keep her comfortable? Are you able to contact the vet to confirm this?

one big question I would make sure I got the answer of in writing is if the owner is able to and willing to take her back if she at some point in the future is no longer suitable for the ridden work you want to do.

The rest will be general horse questions: what is she like to stable, turnout, catch, load/trailer, how is she with other horses, what does she eat, how often does she need teeth/physio/farrier, does she come with tack, what’s she like to hack alone and in company, what’s she like in open spaces.

Equi

Visit site
Good luck :) your instructor will know a lot about how you ride so will be able to help you figure out if they’re the right pony or not but my best advice is to be open minded but pragmatic and don’t get something that maybe isn’t right just because you really want to have one.

let us know how you get on and what you learned from the viewing experience.

Rosie

Visit site
It was epic!!! So basically the lady who owns the horse is hopefully coming to see my house so where the horse would be staying then if that goes well, we will be collecting the horse by the end of the week. The horse, Rosie, was really nice to ride. She doesn't need much leg at all and a very fast!!